Forums dot lukpac.org

A place to discuss music and Mallard Fillmore
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DSLRs
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:47 pm 
Top Dog and Sellout

A few weeks ago I sucked it up and finally entered the world of digital (not counting a 2MP Kodak P&S). I got a Nikon D200, mainly because I can use all of my existing lenses, even my manual focus ones (MF lenses are pretty much useless with the lower end DSLRs).

I had looked at Nikon's DSLRs for a while, but I never bit, due to both the MF lens issue and the "DX" sensor size (more on that below). With the D200 the lens issue is gone (of course, it wasn't a problem with the higher end models either, but those were *significantly* more than I wanted to spend), and I basically gave up holding out for a full 35mm sensor from Nikon.

Anyway, so far I'm pretty happy with it. I've taken quite a few pictures at ISO 1600, and noise is really minimal - maybe on the order of grain with ISO 400 film or so (although I haven't done a direct comparison). I really haven't even begun to check out all of the options - I've pretty much stuck with basic stuff so far.

While it hasn't been a huge deal, I'm still not thrilled with the DX sensor "crop factor". I've often seen it called a "zoom factor", but that isn't what it is. You get exactly the same image you do with a full 35mm frame, except that it's cropped. Depth of field and perspective don't change. So, for example, if you use a 50mm lens with a DX sensor, you'll get the same "real life" perspective you would with a 35mm camera, but you'll get a smaller angle of view. It doesn't bug me that much most of the time, but for wider angle shots you really get a hyper wide angle perspective (big depth of field, large perceived distances from near to far, etc). I suppose it's just a matter of being used to what 35mm gives.

I still have some reservations about digital in general. With film, the same camera can take advantage of advances in film - you can get *exactly* the same image using a 50 year old SLR as you can with a brand new SLR. With digital, you need to buy a new camera when the technology changes. At this point, reservations be damned I suppose.

Whatever the case, it's been fun so far.

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD