DVD Authoring: The horror!

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Xenu
Sellout

DVD Authoring: The horror!

Postby Xenu » Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:22 pm

Hey guys,

So I just re-borrowed the new AHDN from my library. I would like to make a movie-only version of the DVD with two audio tracks: the standard English 5.1, and a mixed-down-to-mono version for actual movie-watching. This would be the prelude to the afternoon of a summer project in which I take the best versions of the soundtrack and sync 'em to the picture on the old DVD.

Problem: I can't figure out how to author a DVD with two audio tracks. I'm capable of using exactly one DVD Authoring program--TMPGEnc DVD Author--but said program doesn't support multiple audio tracks. I figure that it has to be trivial to multiplex another audio track into a single-track, movie-only DVD, but I can't figure out *how*.

I get the feeling that the program "IFOEdit" might be the key, but for something so frequently conversationally referred to as idiot-proof, I can't figure out how to do the simplest things with the damn thing (i.e. I can't even figure out how to demux streams from within IFOEdit).

Anybody have any ideas?

damianm

Postby damianm » Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:32 am

Have you tried DVDShrink? I haven't used it much but I remember it has a Re-Author mode (the other being Full Copy or some such) that'd let you have more than one audio track on the disc.

http://www.dvdshrink.org/

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:47 pm

DVD Shrink won't work in this case, as it's strictly for making backups. The re-author function can only be used to strip off special features, audio tracks, subtitles, etc. or split a film into two parts so it doesn't have to be compressed to fit on a DVD-5.

David, I would definitely not call IFOEdit idiot-proof. I think it's an extremely tough program to learn. The only thing I've figured out so far is how to backup a PAL disc in such a way that a DVD player will be fooled into thinking it's NTSC.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Let's put it this way, then: the various video-editing boards like to treat IFOEdit as if it were idiot-proof. As it is, I can't figure out how to make it do *anything*, although I simultaneously feel as if this is basically the only way to go.

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911