Can anyone recommend some good fiction?

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:35 pm

krabapple wrote:Is there a books thread on the Intenet that *doesn't* ever become a discussion of sci-fi? :roll:

Doubtful. Personally, I have very little interest in SF. I just happen to enjoy the work of Philip K. Dick. (I had to stop myself from typing "I just happen to enjoy Dick" for fear of public ridicule and unsavory rumors.) I don't even know if I'd really consider Ballard true SF.

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:38 pm

krabapple wrote:Asking for recommendations for fiction is like asking for recommendations for food. I mean, there's just *so much out there*.

Believe me, I know. I'm rather overwhelmed with the selection that's out there, and I know it's a shot in the dark just asking for general recommendations. But I have a feeling that at least one or two of the things that have already been mentioned may hit a bullseye with me.

I do have a book of Chekhov's stories at home that I have yet to read. I should tackle that next.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Mar 03, 2005 1:59 pm

One of my favorite contemporary authors is Richard Russo. He's funny and cynical, yet sentimental at the same time. He wrote Nobody's Fool, which was later made into the movie with Paul Newman and Bruce Willis and Empire Falls which is terrific and won some sort of famous award (Pulitzer? I don't remember). However, my favorite novel by him is Straight Man, the story of a dean of the English dept. of a small Pennsylvania college. It's laugh-out-loud funny at times, but also kind of poignant.

I also think Michael Chabon is terrific. The Mysteries of Pittsburgh and Wonder Boys are both excellent page-turners. The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay is more dense but worth the effort.

BTW, High Fidelity is on my top five list of favorite books.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:04 pm

Thanks. Straight Man looks interesting (I grew up in Pennsylvania), and I did like the film version of Wonder Boys, so that might be another possibility.

dcooper wrote:BTW, High Fidelity is on my top five list of favorite books.

It's definitely on my "all-time Top 5" list too. And, as much as I love the film (every one of those record-store scenes is spot-on), I feel the book is richer.

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:37 pm

After having spent a lot of time reading SF and fantasy, I've been trying to move toward the "classics" and more contemporary fiction.

Some lists can be helpful. This list from The Observer was quite interesting. Like any list, it's got its highs and lows. I loved The Count of Monte Cristo, but I'd never pick up Emma again.

I also found these: List of Bests > All Book Lists.

Banned-book lists are also a good source for stimulating reading.

On average I'm usually able to read about a book a week. Some of the really good books I've read fairly recently include The Da Vinci Code, Vertical Run, Anthem. I also enjoy just about anything by Dave Barry. Ray Bradbury's usually a good choice; his science fiction is more about the fiction than it is about the science. Fahrenheit 451 should be required reading. Boccaccio's Decameron was good, as well.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:51 pm

Actually, I find the Ellison stuff I like best is his non-SF work.

I figured I'd get shit for recommending a "lowly" SF writer, but so be it.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:57 pm

I remember seeing Ellison on the old Bill Maher ABC show arguing that online booksellers were killing the publishing industry, becuase the only real way to buy a book was to go into a bookstore, pull something off a shelf, sample it, and pay for it (preferably in cash). Penn Gillette argued that they were democratizing the process since people in areas not served by indy book stores could still buy anything they wanted. You probably can't get any William S. Burroughs at Wal-Mart, but you can at Amazon.com.

Ellison also said he believed that computers were killing thought in the world. Seemed like a full-fledged luddite. I haven't read anything by him, but my guess is he's a "technology is killing humanity" kind of writer.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are

guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the

place where the guy with the horns and pointed

stick conducts his business. - FZ

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:13 pm

balthazar wrote:On average I'm usually able to read about a book a week. Some of the really good books I've read fairly recently include The Da Vinci Code <snip>

You might be interested in these lectures from Bart Ehrman:

http://www.teach12.com/ttc/davincicode.asp
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:28 pm

You might be interested in these lectures from Bart Ehrman

The name's familiar. I think he's written at least one book on the topics presented in The Da Vinci Code. The lectures might be a good place to start. Thanks.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:37 pm

He's a professor at UNC. He's written a few books. The only one I've read is Lost Christianities.

I just bought all his lecture DVDs from The Teaching Company.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.