Forums dot lukpac.org

A place to discuss music and Mallard Fillmore
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:05 pm 

Quote:
Spicoli is sort of an update of the 'beatnik' characters from the 60's...maybe Maynard G. Krebs for the 80's.

Good call. A Hollywood "beatnik" without the phony intellectualism.

Quote:
Anyone rememebr Foster Brooks?

Unfortunately, yes. Maybe it was a generation gap thing, but I found his schtick painful to watch.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:23 am 

In a sense, he was only following in the staggering footsteps of Dean Martin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:55 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:20 pm 
Top Dog and Sellout

Damn latter-day Match Game set.

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 4:41 pm 
Sellout

"Fast Times" was the first DVD I bought. Isn't this one of the premier appearences of Forrest Wittaker?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:55 pm 

Xenu wrote:
"Fast Times" was the first DVD I bought. Isn't this one of the premier appearences of Forrest Wittaker?

Yep, his film debut in fact. Also the debuts of Eric Stoltz, Anthony Edwards, and Nicholas Coppola (aka Nicolas Cage).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 6:40 pm 

http://imdb.com/name/nm0001845/

I don't see why you guys think Phoebe Cates is so great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:17 pm 
Top Dog and Sellout

I don't think Xenu does.

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:25 pm 

Yeah, WTF is wrong Xenu, anyway?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:42 am 

Xenu wrote:

Yes, it is. He's one of the jocks in the movie. One of my favorite scenes is when Spicoli is driving Whitaker's Camaro (or was it a Trans Am?) while Whitaker is riding and Spicoli speeds and weaves through heavy traffic, taking all kinds of crazy chances and busting up his car in the process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:55 am 

lukpac wrote:
Damn latter-day Match Game set.

Nothing compares to the genius of Match Game '74. Best game show ever. Charles Nelson Reilly....Gene Rayburn and his three piece suits...the long, thin microphone. Thank you, Game Show Network. I used to watch it when I was young. I was just barely old enough to see it in '78 and '79, and not old enough to understand all the innuendo. The older seasons are better, for sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:13 am 

Scrumtrulescent!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:16 am 

Rob P wrote:
Yes, it is. He's one of the jocks in the movie. One of my favorite scenes is when Spicoli is driving Whitaker's Camaro (or was it a Trans Am?) while Whitaker is riding and Spicoli speeds and weaves through heavy traffic, taking all kinds of crazy chances and busting up his car in the process.

"My brother's gonna shit! He's gonna kill us!"

"Well, which is it? Is he gonna shit or is he gonna kill us?"

"First he's gonna shit, then he's gonna kill us!"

"Don't worry, dude. My old man's a TV repairman. He's got this awesome set of tools. I can fix it."

Genius.

Quote:
Nothing compares to the genius of Match Game '74. Best game show ever. Charles Nelson Reilly....Gene Rayburn and his three piece suits...the long, thin microphone. Thank you, Game Show Network. I used to watch it when I was young. I was just barely old enough to see it in '78 and '79, and not old enough to understand all the innuendo. The older seasons are better, for sure.

I agree wholeheartedly. Match Game totally warped me when I watched it in the seventies as a wee lad. If only I had understood that the behavior on display was only acceptable if you're drunk off your ass. I would love to have seen the liquor stash in the panel's dressing rooms.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:42 pm 
Sellout

Patrick M wrote:
Yeah, WTF is wrong Xenu, anyway?

I only wish I knew...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:59 pm 
Top Dog and Sellout

Rob P wrote:

I think my favs were around '75.

Funny that on the first shows, Rayburn actually had a clip-on mic, and then a much smaller one, before he settled on the really, really long one.

And don't forget Richard Dawson!

Yes, I know too much.