Team America

DVD/TV/movies/etc
krabapple

Team America

Postby krabapple » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:55 am

I;ve read several reviews now that bear a distinct undercurrent of disappointment over the movie not being evenhanded enough in skewering conservatives as much as liberals. And that audiences won't 'get' the satire of American jingoism, but will embrace it instead.

While I too wonder why they couldn't fit even *one* Bush or Cheney puppet in there, but felt Michaal Moore needed two scenes, this seems, to me, a bit too much hand-wringing. If someone actually thinks that a song whose chorus is 'America -- FUCK YEAH!" isn't a joke, then that someone is an idiot.

Personally I found the movie mostly a hoot, though not as good as the South Park movie. I have a feeling it won't hold up as well to repeat viewings as that one did. It seems a bit too 'inside' in that Parker and Stone seem obsessed with taking down liberal Hollywood celebrities...I doubt most Americans outside of L.A. care *that * much about what that crowd says. And it can't possibly date well, for the same reason (will anyone know or care who 'Alec Baldwin' is in 50 years?)

And the songs, overall, don't come near to matching the quality of teh South Park ones, which were simply genius. I'm not sure, but I'd bet Alan Mencken had nothing to do with the ones in the new flick.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:07 am

I suspect that Marc Shaiman had quite a bit to do with the wonderfulness of the South Park movie songs. Don't know if he's involved with this or not.

Haven't seen Team America yet -- probably will catch it on video or $$$ cable. I wonder if the DVD will include uncensored puppet sex.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:35 pm

Oops, I meant Shaiman, not Mencken.
And from the imdb credits I see Shaiman was not involved in Team America.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant