CU whining about digital transition

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
Rspaight

CU whining about digital transition

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:39 pm

Looks like Consumers Union has decided that there might be a few goobers out there who still haven't heard that analog TV is going away next month, and that we should wait some unspecified amount of time to see if they eventually notice.

My thinking is that the best way to inform the laggards that analog TV is being shut off is to actually SHUT OFF ANALOG TV. Then they'll realize they need to do something to get their daily fix of Judge Judy or whatever it is that we need to give them $40 coupons to continue watching.

We've babied the viewing public long enough. Shut off the channels already.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff

Re: CU whining about digital transition

Postby Jeff » Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 pm

Christ, anyone who watches enough TV to actually give a shit has undoubtedly seen at least 20,000 of those damn commercials in the last year or so.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Obama too...

http://tvdecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009 ... switch/?hp

"Six weeks before the nation’s television stations are scheduled to convert to digital transmission, an aide to President-elect Barack Obama is asking Congress to consider a delay.

In the most significant sign to date of concern about the impending digital TV transition, the Obama transition team co-chairman John Podesta said the government funds to support the change are “woefully inadequate” and said that the digital switch date, Feb. 17, should be “reconsidered and extended.”"
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:01 am

He probably doesn't want people to blame him when the channels go dark less than a month after he takes office.

Bah. This has been delayed so many times already, and it's a criminal waste of bandwidth to go on broadcasting both analog and digital. And if you haven't heard about this yet, there's no way you're going to hear about it. (More accurately, you've heard about it but haven't comprehended the message, so repeating the message won't help.)
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:10 am

Fuck 'em, pull the plug. This was supposed to happen several years ago.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:54 pm

I don't understand why TVs weren't required to have digital tuners long before they actually did. It seems to me that should have been required, oh, 10 years ago.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:40 pm

True. It's kind of bizarre that there are HDTVs out there without digital tuners.

I wonder how many of them are now displaying SD signals from a $60 converter box, while the owner tells all his friends about what a ripoff HD is. "It looks just like regular TV, except everyone looks short and fat!"