DTV from multiple locations?

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

DTV from multiple locations?

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:19 pm

Some of my family lives between Milwaukee and Chicago, and can currently receive TV signals from both places via a rotor. I'm a bit unclear as to what one needs to do with DTV, however. I was at my uncle's house yesterday and got him up and going with an Apex box, running the channel scan while the antenna was pointed toward Milwaukee. It got all the Milwaukee channels setup just fine. However, he wants to receive DTV signals from Chicago too. If he runs the auto setup again with the antenna pointing South, won't all (or at least most) of the Milwaukee channels get wiped out, since the antenna won't be pointing in that direction? Is there a way to manually add channels? How does one set things up if the antenna has to be pointed in multiple directions?

I'm assuming this can't be *that* complicated, but my experience with DTV is limited to what I did yesterday, and now I'm trying to help him without actually being able to do anything hands-on.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Re: DTV from multiple locations?

Postby Rspaight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't know what the deal is with the Apex box specifically, but every DTV tuner I've seen allows you to manually tune and set channels.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:46 pm

Rspaight wrote:I don't know what the deal is with the Apex box specifically, but every DTV tuner I've seen allows you to manually tune and set channels.

Ok. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm there.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:16 pm

Well, interestingly enough, that Apex model does *not* seem to allow you to manually add channels. If you know the RF channel you can punch it in and the box will tune to it (displaying the virtual channel), but there's no way to add that to the stored list of channels. And that doesn't work if there's already a virtual channel on the RF channel you're trying to tune in.

Luckily, after I installed a new antenna and new RG-6 feed line, the box is able to pick up all of the Milwaukee channels even when the antenna is pointed to Chicago. So we just pointed it to Chicago, did a scan and left it. The signal strength on the Milwaukee channels isn't quite as high as when the antenna is pointing in that direction, but there didn't seem to be an visible issues.