Do you use Vista or are you sticking with XP for now?

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
Rspaight

Re: Do you use Vista or are you sticking with XP for now?

Postby Rspaight » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 am

Jeff T. wrote:I think that Final Cut Pro is so wrapped up in the "Suite 2" of products including Quicktime, etc. that the files are just not made for Windows OS, even if you got FCP up and running.

What the hack does is allow you to boot up OS X on any Intel PC, not run OS X apps under Windows.

The big bugaboo with doing that is hardware support. If your hardware already has OS X drivers (in other words, if Apple uses it in Macs), then things might go well. Otherwise, getting things to work can be difficult.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Rspaight wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:I think that Final Cut Pro is so wrapped up in the "Suite 2" of products including Quicktime, etc. that the files are just not made for Windows OS, even if you got FCP up and running.

What the hack does is allow you to boot up OS X on any Intel PC, not run OS X apps under Windows.

The big bugaboo with doing that is hardware support. If your hardware already has OS X drivers (in other words, if Apple uses it in Macs), then things might go well. Otherwise, getting things to work can be difficult.

Running OS X on my PC since Sunday. Strictly for learning purposes, but I overall tend to prefer it over Vista which will make the transition back to Windows harder. :lol:

Installed correctly on the first try and is super fast!

The only major hardware issue I had was with the onboard network card on my Asus motherboard. I pulled a network card out another PC and was then surfing the web with no issues.

I had to modify a couple of kexts to get my video card to display other resolutions besides 1024x768. The forums over at Insanely Mac have a lot helpful advice if you want to try this yourself.

On the software side, the only program I can't get to work is Time Machine. From what I've read, a kext modification may resolve this issue as well.

iTunes 8 is perfect and not buggy as it is with my Vista experience. I was able to sync to my iPod with no issues and was also able to use 5 in 1 smart reader perfectly as well.

The disc and bootloader I used was iAtkos for 10.5.5 which appears to be one of the more popular and easiest ways to get this loaded. There is also a way to use just a loader and then boot directly off the retail version of OS X and install from there.

Quite a fun little project!
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:24 pm

Nifty. Thanks for the report.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:53 am

I saw this version of XP Pro called the Essentials version. The graphic cracked me up. Looks like the Pillsbury Dough Boy on a severe diet, and then being injected with three different drugs at the same time. Really mean don't you think? This version of the OS has been making the rounds for quite some time. They say it is a lean and clean version that loads w/o serial, and passes the m$ genuine/authentic test for updates. I wouldn't really know, of course not.
Attachments
winXP.jpg
winXP.jpg (31.19 KiB) Viewed 8334 times

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:15 am

The word on the developer's beta for the next version of Windows is pretty positive as well. It's speedy and some of the more intrusive features (such as the User Account Control) have been tweaked for the better. One article I read said that while things look good now, the same things were said about Vista in beta mode and look where that ended up.

In the meantime, I am still loving this OS X setup.
Craig