Does AVG 7.5 still work

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
Xenu
Sellout

Does AVG 7.5 still work

Postby Xenu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:45 am

Hey guys,

I was a happy user of AVG for *years*; the discovery that Norton Antivirus was bloated, terrible, and unneeded was perhaps one of the happiest days of my computing life. AVG was small, fast, and blessedly unobtrusive, a dying paradigm.

Sadly, the paradigm has passed from this mortal coil. Sometime around last spring, AVG started trumpeting that its users needed to upgrade to version 8. So I did, and boy, does it suck. Its list of crimes has been amply elucidated elsewhere; suffice to say, it's bloated, slow, fails with alarming frequency, and generally departs from all of the qualities that made me enjoy AVG.

I've been hearing whispers that despite AVG's promises to the contrary, version 7.5 still works. Does anybody know this to be the case?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 am

Can't help you with AVG, but Avast seems to work fairly well. I haven't noticed any obvious problems with it, anyway.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:56 am

AVG 7.5 is still updating for me. As of about a week ago, at least.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:55 pm

Frustratingly, I took off AVG 8 and reinstalled 7.5, only to have the thing crow that the resident shield wasn't recognized. Ugh. Could this be an SP3 issue?
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911