Flatbed Scanners

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Flatbed Scanners

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:26 am

I need your help. I want to get a new flatbed scanner, and I'd like to know what to get. I really want a dedicated film scanner, but at this point it's not in the budget, so I'd like something that does a pretty good job with negatives (if such a thing exists).

The Microtek 5900 caught my eye, but I've read it does a horrible job with negs. Any other suggestions? Anyone want to give me $600 for a film scanner?

balthazar

Postby balthazar » Tue Aug 19, 2003 10:28 am

UMAX makes a decent scanner. They've got different price ranges, so you should be able to find one in your price range. I don't know if they come with negative holders, though. I know some of the HP scanners come with negative holders, but have never worked with one.

As far as film scanners go, if you're just doing 35mm, you could look at a Nikon CoolScan or a Polaroid Sprintscan. The Sprintscan isn't made anymore, though, so you'd have to find one on eBay. If you can find one of these, though, the scans are fantastic. I've seen scans blown up to 16x20 in and they look great. The Nikon has some built-in features to deal with dust and scratches.
"It's great how you can control 60 musicians with one just stick-- I can't control these fuckers with two!" -- Ian Paice

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:52 am

I'd jump at a CoolScan, but I think they start around $500.