I need help installing DVDX COPY XPRESS 3.0.2

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
JWB

I need help installing DVDX COPY XPRESS 3.0.2

Postby JWB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:05 pm

My cousin sent me a copy of this program and it comes with a serial number but no password and I can't install it. My cousin is impossible to get ahold of and I must have asked him for the password 20 times but he never sends it to me. I am not an expert with computer prorgams and I don't really know where to look to get this info. Does anybody out there have access to cracks and can you help me with this? Thanks.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:13 pm

Isn't that what IRC is for?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:22 pm

I don't use IRC - never did. I told you I have no expereince with this kind of shit.

Xenu
Sellout

Re: I need help installing DVDX COPY XPRESS 3.0.2

Postby Xenu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Check astalavista.box.sk...that's all the help I can give.

As an aside: what exactly do you want to do? Be aware that most easy DVD copying manuevres can be easily accomplished with freeware software.

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:58 pm

I was using it to dub DVD's and bypass copy protection. I don't know anything about burning programs. I'm a retard, remember? Any help would be appreciated.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:34 pm

JWB wrote:I was using it to dub DVD's and bypass copy protection. I don't know anything about burning programs. I'm a retard, remember? Any help would be appreciated.

PC, right?

I'd much rather write about this than Civil Procedure.

Again, I'm mostly unfamiliar with pay applications...and, depending on what you want to do, free ones frequently work fine (and, if I remember correctly, it's most certainly no longer legal to sell applications with DeCSS capabilities in the US, so I can't imagine most standalone products have that).

Basically, we've got several issues:

a) Are you trying to encode to Divx? I.e. are you taking a DVD and encoding to something else? If yes: kill yourself. Depending on what sort of material you're dealing with, this can be VERY EASY or MIND-NUMBINGLY AWFUL (television, I'm looking at you!).

I assume you wouldn't be so audacious to do the above, so let's move on.

b) Are you attempting to just get a 1-to-1 copy of a DVD? If you are...congrats, this is easy, contingent on i) extra copy protection, and ii) size.

If you're just trying to copy a DVD as-is, there's a plethora of freeware programs that'll do it for you. The most celebrated is DVD Decrypter, but it hasn't been updated in forever...that said, it still handles most things A-OK. If you have a DVD with extra copy protection imposed, get DVD-Fab Decrypter, a different program that is updated constantly that can bypass mostly anything (including HD stuff, I think). Both of these programs are totally illegal under US law, but the US isn't the world, and thus you can find 'em both easily.

I use both of the above programs for extracting, favoring DVD Decrypter if possible (because I'm used to the UI). DVD Decrypter in ISO mode is incredibly simple. DVD decrypter in File mode is also incredibly simple. IFO mode, less-so...don't use that unless you're encoding to DivX. Doom9 has some great step-by-step guides to the app.

For burning, especially of ISOs you've ripped, use IMGBurn. Period. Full-stop. IMGBurn is basically DVD Decrypter with the offending bits removed, so it's still updated. It's great for burning ISOs, and also great for taking files and making them into a totally DVD-V compliant ISO for burning (programs like Nero can really confuse this issue, surprisingly). IMGBurn is also free.

Unfortunately, 1-to-1 copies run into the dreaded Dual-Layer problem. Simply put: dual layer discs are common. Dual Layer blanks are Not and are expensive, and purists seem to think only made-in-Singapore verbatims are worth shit (I wouldn't be inclined to see this as gospel at this late date). So, sometimes, you need to take that movie and DO THINGS TO IT.

c) Doing things to it! IMO, the easiest way to do this is still with DVD Shrink, which is a fantastic, user-friendly way to hack movies to bits and strip out data (DVD Rebuilder, which I toyed with back in the stone age, was not as kind). You might think "Why would I want to strip things out?" Well, if you're dealing with a movie that would otherwise fit fine on a single-layer blank, but it has a French 5.1 DTS track...

DVD Shrink has hit the same problem as DVD Decrypter, and it isn't updated ever. This occasionally means that, with newer, copy-protected discs, you need to rip first with DVD-Fab Decrypter and then process with DVD-Shrink. It's damn easy.

DVD-Shrink can do a variety of things, including splitting a movie up between two discs, ripping out things, killing extras, etc. How easy this is depends on how the disc is authored: for example, doing "separate episode" rips of some shows is easy, while other shows that author as one giant stream make it a nightmare without reauthoring, which You Do Not Want to Do.

If you're dealing with a movie that's less than ~100 minutes, you can almost always fit it on one disc if you're willing to kill the extras. If it's longer...well, you either have to lower the quality, split it, or just bite the bullet and dual-layer blank it.

d) Reauthoring. See a). Don't do this right now.

In sum: most of the "easy" shit can be done via free programs, all of which are impressively annotated at doom9. And I'm happy to field any questions. There is a learning curve, mostly thanks to the surprisingly bizarre DVD filestructure, but it can be conquered pretty easily once you get the hang of it. But do yourself a favor: stay away from reauthoring and reencoding for now.

-D
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:56 pm

I just purchased and installed AnyDVD and I'm ready to go. Thanks for your help! (You can close or delete this thread, Luke.)

JWB

Postby JWB » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:57 pm

I can't figure out how to get AnyDVD to scan and burn a disc. I click OK to move head to the next menu and the program closes. This is aggravating.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:11 pm

I've never used AnyDVD. IIRC, though, isn't it just a driver? I thought all it did was decrypt files on the fly. You then, presumably, can manually copy 'em or use something like IMGBURN to grab a disc image?
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:59 am

I think you're right Dave. I have to run it in the background and burn with a different program. I have a lot to learn.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm

I admit to being a bit confused as to why you bought AnyDVD in the first place. It's a useful program for certain things, but really, the combination of DVDFab Decrypter/DVDDecrypter and Imgburn does all you want. I was under the impression that AnyDVD was more of a power-user thing/multi-region-craziness thing.

-D
-------------

JWB

Postby JWB » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:55 pm

See my new thread for my next problem.