DAE query

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
Xenu
Sellout

DAE query

Postby Xenu » Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:48 pm

Hey guys. Bit of an odd situation I'd like to pass by the assembled wisdom here (before I go screaming over to Hydrogenaudio).

My pre-Chicago computer had two drives: an NEC 3500 and a LiteOn LTD-163. Neither cached, and both were AccurateStream AOK. The LiteOn was a fantastic drive for DAE, as it would never (on Test+Copy) report a CRC mismatch unless an actual error was detected. The NEC 3500 was a hell of a lot faster than the LiteOn, but had two occasional quirks: it was terrible at error compensation on scratched discs, and tracks would sometimes fail CRC matching even if no error was detected. As the "ripping" CRC was always correct, though (as confirmed by a second round of test+copy), I chalked this up to some peculiarity of test-mode DAE and didn't pay it much mind; it was at most an occasional inconvinience.

With my Chicago computer, I decided to duplicate the old comp's setup. I chose an NEC 3550 drive for my DVD burner, and went with another Lite-On drive for the DVD-only drive, foolishly thinking that a shift in model numbers (to an entirely different series! What was I thinking? I doubt it's even made by Lite-On) wouldn't make much difference. Well, I was wrong. Not only is the Lite-On almost as bad at handling errors as the NEC drive, it does something that chills me to the bone: tracks will occasionally fail CRC tests, but the *ripping* CRC will be the one that's incorrect. Fuck.

Here's my question: what's going on? I don't even properly understand how EAC, properly configured, can generate two different CRC values without reporting an error. I was willing to accept it when it was limited to the test-mode only, but...bah. Could it be a setting I've missed?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:16 pm

No idea, but a side note - I went looking for my LiteOn drive, which has worked *great*, to get for my dad, but I couldn't find it *anywhere*. I don't think it's even a year old. Odd.

What model do you have? I know there's a site that does detailed reviews of DAE and DVD ripping...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:54 pm

SHD-16P1S.

I should probably look up some user reviews.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911