Free, easy-to-configure/maintain DNS server for Win2K Pro?

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
damianm

Free, easy-to-configure/maintain DNS server for Win2K Pro?

Postby damianm » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:22 am

Hi everyone

I figured there must be a bunch of you here who might be able to help. We've had a small home network for the past few years, with an AD domain run by one of the boxes which's got Win2K $erver on it.

Very likely overkill, but I get to use it as a 'lab' of sorts from time to time so I don't think I'll be tearing it down

In any case, the DC box is the oldest, and is starting to fail .. it'll hang up at random with nasty blue screens and cr@p like that and when that happens, I lose all connectivity to the outside (Internet), as I've configured the internal DNS (same box) to forward outside queries to my ISP's name server/s

I've been thinking about installing some kind of stand-alone DNS server on another of the computers, none else of which are the server variety (and thus M$'s DNS won't install/run on them).

Ideally I'd install this second name-server, then do a zone transfer of some sort, and then stop the DNS service on the "primary" server .. and expect it to more-or-less work without much fussing around.

I've Googled around a bit but haven't had much luck. If anyone's doing/has ever done something like this, I'd truly appreciate some advice.

Thanks! :D

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 am

Not sure about "easy to configure" (although I'm betting there's some type of nice config interface available), but I'd probably suggest Linux with BIND. Not sure what to suggest on the Windows side.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

damianm

Postby damianm » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:32 am

lukpac wrote:Not sure about "easy to configure" (although I'm betting there's some type of nice config interface available), but I'd probably suggest Linux with BIND. Not sure what to suggest on the Windows side.

Thanks. I believe I might've heard about an implementation of BIND for Win32, now that you mention it.. I'll look into that for a start. I might post back if I come up with anything interesting enough.

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm just not much of a Linux user :oops:. Dang.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:45 am

damianm wrote:Other than that, I'm afraid I'm just not much of a Linux user :oops:. Dang.

Good time to start!
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:46 pm

Downloads for Win32 BIND:

http://www.isc.org/index.pl?/sw/bind/bind9.php

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney