Linksys WRT54G help

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Linksys WRT54G help

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:27 pm

I've got a WRT54G (with firmware v4.20.7) which I'm currently using in Gateway/NAT mode. For my cable modem, this is fine, as I only am assigned a single IP address, but with my DSL I'm assigned multiple addresses, and I'd like to take advantage of that. My DSL modem will assign multiple (up to 254 I believe) publicly routable IP addresses via DHCP. If I plug in a switch and plug 5 computers into that switch, for example, I'll get 5 publicly routable IP addresses.

My question is, can I use the "Router" mode on the WRT54G to achieve a 1:1 relationship of public and private addresses? I.e., if I have 10 computers on the LAN side, can I have 10 public addresses on the WAN side (vs. a single one as I have now)?

I've tried turning on RIP, both just on the WAN side and on both sides, and it doesn't seem to work. This is what comes back as my routing table:

Code: Select all

Destination LAN IP     Subnet Mask     Gateway     Interface
192.168.1.0   255.255.255.0   0.0.0.0   LAN & Wireless
66.222.33.0   255.255.255.0   0.0.0.0   WAN (Internet)
0.0.0.0   0.0.0.0   66.222.33.1   WAN (Internet)
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:22 pm

So far as I know, you can only have a single IP address bound to the WAN port of the WRT54G. You can route traffic to it any which way, but it will only go out with that one IP.

What you're looking for is a feature called Multi-NAT, which the Linksys box doesn't support. (At least with the Linksys firmware. There may be a hacked firmware out there that will, I have no idea.) This allows you to translate multiple private IPs to multiple public IPs, either 1-1 or in blocks.

I know that some Netgear boxes do this, at least in their multi-hundred-dollar pro range:

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/FVX538.php

(The "normal" way to accomplish this is to not use NAT, and just hub the machines to the Internet pipe.)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:13 pm

Rspaight wrote:So far as I know, you can only have a single IP address bound to the WAN port of the WRT54G. You can route traffic to it any which way, but it will only go out with that one IP.

What you're looking for is a feature called Multi-NAT, which the Linksys box doesn't support. (At least with the Linksys firmware. There may be a hacked firmware out there that will, I have no idea.) This allows you to translate multiple private IPs to multiple public IPs, either 1-1 or in blocks.

Hmm. I've got one of these (the 831), which *does* do multi-NAT. It looks like I might have to set that up to do multi-NAT, then set up a static route between that and the WRT54G. Until I figure out something better, anyway.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:30 pm

Yeah, that ought to work.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Assuming multi-NAT works with DHCP...

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:20 am

I'd think that if you wanted certain machines to get pinned-down public IPs, you'd give them static private IPs.

Ryan

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:37 am

Yeah, I'd probably do static on the private side. Public side doesn't matter, though - DynDNS is a wonderful thing.