Forums dot lukpac.org

A place to discuss music and Mallard Fillmore
It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:38 pm 
Top Dog and Sellout

Rspaight wrote:
Here's a stupid question. If you burn a >4.7GB movie to a DL disc, will you get an automatic layer change like with a factory DL disc?

In other words, can a video file span the layers?

A better question (never having used the discs) would be is there a logical difference between the layers? Do they show up as one logical volume or two?

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:25 pm 

I would think it would be a single logical drive, but I've never tried it (my drive can do it, but I've neve bought media).

Reason I ask is that a "seamless layer change" was a HUGE deal back in '97 when they figured out how to do it -- apparently it was a nightmare to author and press, and companies like Warner Brothers were burning the midnight oil trying to get it right. (Not a dual-layer disc -- those were common. I mean a dual layer disc where the movie starts on one layer and ends on the other, with at most a stutter when the player switches layers.) If you can do that today by pushing a button in Nero, color me impressed.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:32 pm 

It shows up as one logical volume.

I believe Nero can author / master the proper layout and break.

Slightly old, but relevant:

http://www.nero.com/en/PR_2004_03_31.html

I must admit, I have only duplicated original DL movies as iso images with DVD Decrypter, I haven't authored a DL DVD from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:41 pm 

Ain't technology grand? Thanks for the link.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:50 am 

I can't believe DL media are finally becoming affordable. I'm so tired of having to put a 90-minute Criterion title on two discs. Unless there's a fade to black somewhere in the middle of the film, the break is never seamless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:14 am 

I'm glad as well. I am copying the 3 DVD "Complete Montery Pop - Criterion Collection", you can bet I will use DL for that.

What really surprises me is the price of probably the best writer on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101649

Unbelievable!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:23 am 
Sellout

Same with the NECs.

SACD, I don't know whether DL media "are finally becoming affordable." This sale is rare enough to seem like a fluke, actually.

-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:50 am 
Top Dog and Sellout

Matt wrote:
What really surprises me is the price of probably the best writer on the market:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827101649

Unbelievable!

Sweet Jesus. I remember thinking my 4/8 Panasonic was a steal for $280 back in 1998.

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:58 am 

The sale is a rarity, no question. However, you can get DL discs form newegg for less than $3.50 a disc (10 pack). This is considerably cheaper then when they first came out. I'm much more likely, at that price, to use them now for discs I would rather not recode or transcode to fit on a regular DVD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:00 am 

lukpac wrote:
Sweet Jesus. I remember thinking my 4/8 Panasonic was a steal for $280 back in 1998.

Luke, I think I paid $450 in late 1996 or 1997 for an internal HP 2x CD re-writer! Unbelievable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:03 am 
Top Dog and Sellout

http://members.tripod.com/~trancepoison/cdr/cdr.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:30 pm 

Might as well ask here -- does *anyone* have a line on where to get hold of that infamous software for digitally capturing DVD-As (whose name shall remain nameless)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:10 pm 
Sellout

I think I have it archive somewhere...problematically, I forget what it was called.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:39 pm 

krabapple wrote:
Might as well ask here -- does *anyone* have a line on where to get hold of that infamous software for digitally capturing DVD-As (whose name shall remain nameless)?

It was all uploaded at Pedro's a few months ago.

I think I still have everything archived. If you can't find it elsewhere, shoot me a PM and I can help you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:47 pm 

Xenu wrote:
SACD, I don't know whether DL media "are finally becoming affordable." This sale is rare enough to seem like a fluke, actually.

Perhaps I should have qualified that statement with the word "relatively." Until recently, I hadn't seen them anywhere for less than $8 apiece. Though $4-$5 is still pretty high compared to single-layer discs, you have to admit that it's a relative bargain if you can copy a $40 Criterion for that price.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next