Verbatim DVD media deals

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:36 am

Oh, certainly. Now if there were only a sure-fire way to find OOP, expensive Criterions!

(I try to buy most of the readily-available ones)
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:11 am

Xenu wrote:Oh, certainly. Now if there were only a sure-fire way to find OOP, expensive Criterions!

(I try to buy most of the readily-available ones)

Well, if you find out early enough that something's going OOP, you can usually get it at Netflix. That's how I got Flesh for Frankenstein and Blood for Dracula.

Believe it or not, your local library system could also be a good resource. Most libraries carry DVD's now and you'd be surprised at the number of Criterions sitting on the shelves (usually gathering dust, since most people just want Hollywood blockbusters). I just got Hitchcock's Rebecca this way, along with a ton of in-print titles.

If you're looking to actually buy OOP Criterions, it's sometimes worthwhile to check the shelves at Borders. Since their prices are so high, the more expensive DVD's tend to sit on the shelves forever. I just saw a sealed copy of Notorious recently for $40.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:15 pm

Heh...my outstanding problem with Criterion is that I'm in no way a movie buff, and consequently am not on top of my "classic" releases.

That said, my local library had copies of a few (The Third Man, others) which I might as well xerox...
-------------

damianm

Postby damianm » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:41 am

Could anyone tell me if the $5.50 Staples deal is still up?

I've got someone in the US who's willing to pick up a pack for me, but they're listed at $15.98 on their site right now :|

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:27 pm

No idea. Probably. They're not marked down anywhere visible; it just shows up when you check out (and it's never been noted online).
-------------

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:44 pm

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817132395

Note the option below for a "combo special" including five more dual layer discs. Anyone have any experience with this brand (RiDATA)?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:32 pm

They're supposed to be poop. LordSmurf (who I usually think is a bit severe, FWIW) hates them, as do a lot of people.

I think something similar went on sale at CircuitCity a while back. Nobody bought 'em...'cuz they suck.

I'm having shit luck finding the Verbatims, though. I've found two so far, despite going to basically every Staples in the area (I've been tutoring in CT, and I pass a lot on some of my routes). Stores will list three or four in their inventories, yet the items are never in attendence, even after I finish harassing half the store employees.

Bah.
-------------

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:01 pm

So, how do I now go about *ahem*ing said Criterions? NeroLinux just spits 'em back out and xcdroast gags on them if they have one bad sector...

Shouldn't I be able to xerox with an unscrupulous program (ie, xcdroast)?

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:46 pm

http://dvd-create.sourceforge.net/dvdbackup-readme.html

This seems to have answered my questions. It's very annoying how many of these howtos assume that transcoding will need to take place - do none of these guys have dual layer burners? I mean, it only cost me $40...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:49 pm

Well, I mean, to do it without transcoding you generally just pull the files off (with CSS) and throw 'em back on. Although I guess the layer-break introduces some weirdness. That's one thing that's nice about DVD Decrypter: it apparently figures all of that out for you.
-------------

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:17 am

Yeah, this is filed in the bulging drawer of "things it would be easier to do if I used Windows." That's the way the window shades, I guess.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm

Can things like Decrypter not be emulated easily?

I'm really surprised there's not an easy-to-use equivalent.

FWIW, those discs are now $40 for 10 at Best Buy. Not awful, but not great either. I missed a slight $20 for 10 sale two weeks ago...
-------------

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:00 am

I haven't been home to try the linux alternatives yet. I suppose you could run WINE and then run Decrypter through it, but I feel like WINE is cheating, to some extent.

I'm guessing that there's a way to do it but the neato GUI interfaces will, as usual, be a year or so behind. Small price to pay for being able to do some other things (secure file serving primary among them) very well.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:29 pm

Just have 10 computers like some of us.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:44 pm

Pick an OS, any OS.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney