External devices won't mount on Mac. Need help.

Computers, gadgets, etc. Music/audio-related discussions should be posted in Audio Technology.
MK

External devices won't mount on Mac. Need help.

Postby MK » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:16 pm

@#$@#! Apple is really pissing me off with this one. I can't get help from their discussion boards because for some reason it's all off-line so I hope someone here knows how to fix this.

I was ripping some mp3's for my iPod, but for some reason iTunes began to hang in the middle of track 1. This was an old PolyGram CD of EVERY PICTURE TELLS A STORY so no copy protection etc. The program froze up and when I tried to force quit the whole system hung for a long time so I had to force a restart. Now all of my external devices, whether it's a FireWire drive or a USB device, will mount easily. That is, before, I could leave them plugged in and they'll mount. Now they won't do that, and if I unplug them and plug them after the computer starts up, they MIGHT mount, but the success rate has been low.

I just installed Tiger as well as a recent Tiger update, plus the most recent iPod update and iTunes 4.9, if that makes any difference, and the computer has a 500 MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 512 MB SDRAM.

I tried reinstalling the latest iPod updater, hoping that would at least solve the iPod problem, but when you get to the window where you select the drive to install on, the hard drive appears, but can't be selected, and the little ring that 'flashes' in a rotating fashion as it's 'processing' keeps going and going.

I tried using Disk Utility but it just hangs on the 'Gathering disk information' window with that ring going and going.

Everything else seems to work okay.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

MK

Postby MK » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:18 pm

Nevermind. I think I've got it worked out.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto