Fletcher for Governor

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Patrick M

Fletcher for Governor

Postby Patrick M » Thu May 01, 2003 5:40 pm

So, Ryan, who are you voting for? :)

[Apparently someone desecrated this in Paint Shop Pro -- my apologies.]

http://www.fletcher2003.com

For those of you not in the know, "returning integrity to the Governor's Office" roughly translates to "I will not have an affair while I am governor of Kentucky, like that bastard Democrat Paul Patton."

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 02, 2003 8:06 am

Heh, heh. I'm not sure yet who I'll hold my nose and pull the lever for, but it's a safe bet that Fletcher won't be on the short list. (Assuming he wins his court case and is actually on the ballot, then makes it through the primary. I know this is a shock, but I'm not a registered Republican. :)) Fletcher earned a lifetime blacklisting from me with a radio ad he did a while back when running against Ernesto Scorsone, where some self-righteous voiceover said "Remember, it's Ernie, *not* Ernesto." Ick.

I dunno, I give Chandler credit for pushing through the telemarketing no-call list, which has really worked. I'll have to look into him more closely to see what's in his closet. (Aside from his racist lineage, which I'm not holding against him.)

Is Gatewood running? :)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri May 02, 2003 12:25 pm

Rspaight wrote:Fletcher earned a lifetime blacklisting from me with a radio ad he did a while back when running against Ernesto Scorsone, where some self-righteous voiceover said "Remember, it's Ernie, *not* Ernesto." Ick.

Didn't Fletcher also run a smear ad where he accused Scorsone of being "pro rapist" because he (Scorsone) served as a public defender?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 02, 2003 3:59 pm

I don't remember that, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

TSmithPage

Postby TSmithPage » Mon May 12, 2003 10:53 pm

What, is this a Kentucky-only thread? I'm a registered Republican, although I'm a bit subversive and only do it to vote against the favored candidate. Naturally, I'm voting for Nunn over Fletcher. Hopefully, Chandler will ultimately win. My family knows him, and you need to know someone if you want to be appointed judge.:)

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon May 12, 2003 11:12 pm

TSmithPage wrote:What, is this a Kentucky-only thread?

No, although no one else seems to be paying attention.

My parents got two more pieces of mail from Fletcher the other day. I'm looking forward to scanning those in soon. One of them was from "Glenna" (Mrs. Fletcher) and was addressed to my mom. Today, Mom got an automated call from "Glenna" following up about the mail. Nice lady, I bet.

I was talking to my cousin in Lexington the other day. Apparently Fletcher was in a local restaurant here owned by my uncle. One of the waitresses asked Fletcher what he was going to do for health insurance. He told her if she needed health insurance, she should get a different job. I guess that compassionate conservativism in action.

I love the conservative solutions. Simple, pragmatic, obvious.

Too fat? Stop eating so damn much.
Want to avoid AIDS? Stop screwing.
Want health insurance? Get a better job.

I hate that soft liberal B.S. It has ruined this country.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue May 13, 2003 7:54 am

The Lex Herald-Leader endorsed Lundsford on the Dem side, and (I think) Nunn on the Republican side.

I just can't take Lundsford seriously. His ads are hilariously stupid. There's one with a dippy "follow the bouncing ball" song, but with the state of Kentucky bouncing instead of a ball. It originally was to the tune of "Beverly Hillbillies" (!), but he had to change it because he didn't know it was copyrighted.

My favorite, though, is the one with "Lundsford's Plan," the first item of which is "solve the budget crisis." Doh! Why didn't anyone else think of that? This guy is sure smart! (Of course, "solve the budget crisis" is immediately followed by a bunch of expensive programs...)

Ryan

TSmithPage

Postby TSmithPage » Tue May 13, 2003 9:57 pm

Well, the thing about Lunsford's ads is they're so disingenuous and deceptive. He has been running ads with Dr. Grady Stumbo and Barbara Edelman castigating Chandler. What the ads don't disclose is that Stumbo is not only a Dr. but also Lunsford's campaign manager, and that Edelman is not only a former prosecutor but also Lunsford's candidate for Lt. Governor- not exactly impartial critics!

I once met Fletcher on a plane. It was a commuter flight so he was stuck in coach along with the rest of us. For most of the flight, no one knew who he was or said anything to him. At the end of the flight, I "outed" him by talking about his job in the U.S. House and his flight arrangements. After that, several people nearby peppered him with political questions until he got off the plane! :)

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun May 18, 2003 10:39 pm

The Fletcher campaign has been in high gear lately. Check out this crap that showed up in the mailbox.

Picture of "Big Ern" and his highschool sweetie, Glenna, and their two kids:

A pseudo-endorsement from W:

How Big Ern is going to fix healthcare:

Why the hell is a kid balancing his mother's checkbook?

Why did Big Ern get into politics? Because of Clinton's B.J.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon May 19, 2003 1:22 am

Fascinatingly, one must remember that between the fall of Prohibition and the rise of the Moral Majority, the "moral superiority" kind of conservative--at least insofar as major-league politics were concerned--*was* an endangered species.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon May 19, 2003 9:53 am

Well, with Lunsford bailing at the eleventh hour, it looks like it's going to be a Chandler-Fletcher race, and depressingly, Ernie "Mini-Mitch" Fletcher will probably win.

Ryan

TSmithPage

Postby TSmithPage » Mon May 19, 2003 7:56 pm

Well, it's a pretty rare occurrence for a Republican to win the Governorship here in Kentucky. I think Nunn back in the early 70s was the last Republican to win. Still, Fletcher is the most viable candidate they've fielded in quite awhile. It should definitely be an interesting general election.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon May 19, 2003 10:07 pm

I think Nunn took office in '67 and was gone in '71. I heard that a Lexington poll showed "Big Ern" crushing the competition. I can only hope this dweeb doesn't go all the way. :cry:

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 30, 2003 10:46 pm

Ooooh, check this out. I (actually my wife) just got the same thing Patrick scanned in above, with the creepy high school pictures and the heartfelt note from Glenna. But the note's been changed:

Verrrrry interesting.

Ryan

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Nov 05, 2003 12:56 am

He won.

I assume you know this.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911