Gay Marriage in SF, and is Chicago Next?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Gay Marriage in SF, and is Chicago Next?

Postby Rspaight » Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:26 pm

Look, if you dare, at the hideous defiling of the scared^H^H^H^H^Hacred institution of marriage. Western Civilization, if not all of human civilization, is being torn asunder before our very eyes. WARNING: These pictures are not for the squeamish:

http://ephemera.org/sets/?album=justlymarried

We must amend the Constitution immediately.

And now Chicago's thinking about getting in on the act:

[url=http://www.suntimes.com/output/news/cst-nws-gay19.html]
Daley on gay marriage: 'no problem' [/url]

February 19, 2004

BY FRAN SPIELMAN City Hall Reporter

Mayor Daley said Wednesday he would have "no problem" with County Clerk David Orr issuing marriage licenses to gay couples -- and Orr said he's open to a San Francisco-style protest if a consensus can be built.

"They're your doctors, your lawyers, your journalists, your politicians," the mayor said. "They're someone's son or daughter. They're someone's mother or father. . . . I've seen people of the same sex adopt children, have families. [They're] great parents.

"Some people have a difference of opinion -- that only a man and a woman can get married. But in the long run, we have to understand what they're saying. They love each other just as much as anyone else.''

A devout Catholic, Daley scoffed at the suggestion that gay marriage would somehow undermine the institution of marriage between a man and a woman.

"Marriage has been undermined by divorce, so don't tell me about marriage. You're not going to lecture me about marriage. People should look at their own life and look in their own mirror. Marriage has been undermined for a number of years if you look at the facts and figures on it. Don't blame the gay and lesbian, transgender and transsexual community. Please don't blame them for it," he said.

Daley said he has no control over marriage licenses in Cook County. But if Orr wants to take that bold step, the mayor has no problem with it.

Orr said he was "game to looking at options" provided a consensus could be built.

"I'm fed up with people being discriminated against because of their sexual orientation. We can't even pass a law that eliminates discrimination against gay couples. [But] whatever you do when it comes to challenging laws, you want it to be effective and not knee-jerk," Orr said.

The clerk noted the protest that has gay couples from around the nation lining up for hours outside San Francisco's City Hall was meticulously planned.

It wasn't just "the clerk waking up one day and deciding to marry someone," Orr said. It had the support of the entire "city apparatus" in San Francisco -- from the mayor, City Council and advocacy groups on down. That's the model that would have to be followed here, Orr said.

"Whether or not, here in Cook County, we should be considering a San Francisco or other kind of protest, that is what some of us are discussing. I'm quite interested in exploring that with key players in the city and county. I'm already discussing that with a number of advocacy and key groups. I would like to discuss it with the mayor," Orr said.

State law says same-sex marriage is contrary to public policy. It recognizes only a marriage between a man and a woman.

Daley and Orr are going farther than gay activists are willing to go on the issue of gay marriage.

Ald. Tom Tunney (44th), Chicago's first openly gay alderman, said his top legislative priority is to pass Senate Bill 101 prohibiting statewide discrimination against gays and lesbians in housing and employment.

"We're putting the cart before the horse. We have to get to that step first and then we move incrementally," Tunney said.

Rick Garcia, political director of Equality Illinois, applauded Daley for taking the lead on the explosive issue of gay marriage. "No one can accuse Mayor Daley of being some left-wing pinko. ... It means a lot. It sets a tone."

Last fall, the county board authorized Orr to issue certificates of domestic partnership that carry no legal rights. Garcia believes it's time for Orr to take it a step further and issue marriage license to gay couples. But he's not about to "initiate anything at this point" with a formal protest.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:01 pm

Go ahead and laugh. But in the long run I don't see how encouraging a bunch of butt-reaming homos works to the benefit of Western Civilization. And I also think it's terrorism.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:25 pm

If this board had a thumbs up thing I'd actually use it in this case.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:33 am

Seriuosly, what do you all think of this?
-Matt

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Feb 20, 2004 1:04 am

Bush for Constitutional Ban on Gay Marriage

Thu Feb 19, 6:47 PM ET

By Alan Elsner

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush's political director has told a group of prominent conservatives that the president would soon publicly endorse a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

Bay Buchanan, sister of former Republican presidential candidate Pat Buchanan, told Reuters she was one of several conservatives who heard the message from political director Karl Rove two weeks ago.

"We were told by Karl Rove that the president would support the constitutional amendment -- not just that he would endorse it but also that he would fight for it," Buchanan said.

Specifically, Rove told an alliance of conservatives known as the Arlington Group in a telephone conversation that Bush would back the amendment being put forward by Colorado Republican Rep. Marilyn Musgrave and that his statement would come "sooner rather than later."

The debate over gay marriage has heated up recently with a decision by San Francisco's mayor last week to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples and a decision by the highest court in Massachusetts to strike down a ban on gay marriage.

White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Bush had not yet decided whether to support a constitutional amendment.

"It's something he continues to look at very closely. He has indicated that, if necessary, he would be prepared to support a constitutional amendment if activist judges continue to seek to redefine marriage," McClellan said.

"The only alternative would be the constitutional process, and the president has specifically said the legislation introduced by Congresswoman Musgrave reflects the principles which he has talked about."

The proposed amendment would reserve marriages solely for "unions between a man and a woman." It would allow state voters and legislatures to determine if they want to legalize civil unions between same-sex couples but would state that no court can require states to accept such civil unions.

Buchanan said she and colleagues were a little concerned that Bush had not yet spoken out in favor of the amendment.

"We had expected it by now. There have been several opportunities for the president to speak out since that time. We're not sure what he's waiting for," she said.

In his latest comment on the issue, Bush said on Wednesday he was troubled San Francisco was issuing marriage licenses to gays and lesbians "even though the law states otherwise."

"I'm troubled by what I've seen," Bush told reporters in his first public comments on the flood of City Hall weddings that have made San Francisco the focus of the gay marriage movement.

"I have consistently stated that I'll support (a) law to protect marriage between a man and a woman. And, obviously, these events are influencing my decision," Bush said.

Amending the constitution is a difficult task. It can take years to win the support of two-thirds of the House of Representatives, two-thirds of the Senate and ratification by three-quarters of the states.

But conservatives have made the constitutional amendment a litmus test for Bush. Democratic presidential front-runner John Kerry, says he favors civil unions for gays but not marriage.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:19 am

Matt wrote:Seriuosly, what do you all think of this?

I think it's great, and I think people who continue to worry about the downfall of society really have their heads up their asses. Most of the people getting married now probably have better "family values" than half of the straight people who get married. As Daley mentioned, the "institution of marriage" has a lot bigger problems than gay people getting married.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 9:12 am

Matt wrote:Seriuosly, what do you all think of this?

I think it's great, as well. How can any feeling human being look at those pictures and say something like, "I'm troubled by what I've seen"? Look at the joy these people are experiencing over the simple act of having their relationships legitimized. What's the downside here? I simply don't see it.

As was pointed out in one of the discussions I've read, how many times to we have the chance to celebrate something government does by throwing rose petals on the steps of City Hall? I hope and believe that we are witnessing a "Rosa Parks moment" in American history.

One final thought: Bush says, "The people should decide what marriage is, not activist judges." Well, first off, the whole *point* of the Constitution is to protect the rights of individuals against the mob mentality of the majority, by preventing the passage of laws that infringe on certain basic rights. The reason he wants to *amend* it is to allow the majority to infringe on the rights of a minority. (If that's not the case, why do we need an amendment?) Second, are these smiling folks -- young, old, white, non-white, skinny, fat, well-dressed, jeans-wearing -- in San Francisco not *people*?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:22 pm

Now also available in scenic New Mexico...

New Mexico County Begins Issuing Marriage Licenses to Gay Couples

By Susan Montoya Bryan Associated Press Writer
Published: Feb 20, 2004

BERNALILLO, N.M. (AP) - A lesbian couple was issued a marriage license and exchanged vows outside the courthouse Friday as other same-sex couples lined up for their chance to tie the knot.

At least a half-dozen gay and lesbian couples waited outside the Sandoval County courthouse after county clerk Victoria Dunlap began issuing marriage licenses for same-sex couples.

The move came just over a week after San Francisco began issuing marriage licenses to thousands of gay couples in a direct challenge to California law.

Dunlap said she made the decision after county attorney David Mathews said New Mexico law is unclear.

"This has nothing to do with politics or morals," she said. "If there are no legal grounds that say this should be prohibited, I can't withhold it. This office won't say no until shown it's not permissible."

AP-ES-02-20-04 1400EST

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:32 pm

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Great Cultural Divide, Tom DeLay says the economy and national security are irrelevant in the face of the Rampaging Homo Menace...

DeLay says gay unions will be 'central' issue

By JIM BALLOCH, balloch@knews.com
February 20, 2004

Gay marriage will be a "central" issue in the upcoming presidential election, and that will likely benefit Republicans, House Majority Leader Tom DeLay said Thursday.

"I think it will be central," DeLay, R-Texas, told reporters before addressing the Knox County Republican Party's annual Lincoln Day Dinner at Rothchild's. "Every now and then, an issue that is central to who you are and what your world view is comes along."

Americans "have been tolerant of homosexuality for years, but now it's being stuffed down their throats and they don't like it," DeLay said. "They know it will undermine the very foundation of this society, will undermine our understanding of what families are. Polls tell us that over 70 percent of Americans believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman, no matter what you call it."

He said that a "very telling difference" between the Democratic and Republican parties is that the former "is becoming the party of gay marriages" while the latter "is becoming the party of traditional values I think it's going to carry the day in the upcoming elections."

According to Thursday's New York Times, Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and his closest rival, Sen. John Edwards, D-N.C., each oppose gay marriage. Kerry supports civil unions for gay couples and Edwards supports domestic partner benefits for same-sex couples.

The nation needs to remain focused and "win the war on terror, support our troops, find the terrorists wherever we can and either put them in a cell or put them in the cemetery," DeLay said.

All of that is part of a focus on "security, prosperity and family," he said.

"But security and prosperity are not worth anything if you don't maintain and protect the American family from the onslaught that is attacking the family, starting with gay marriages," he said. "We believe the American family is headed by a man and woman, and that is marriage, and that is the foundation of this country."

Asked if Vice President Dick Cheney would be President Bush's running mate this year, DeLay said, "I hope so people feel very comfortable and secure that he is in the position he is in, and he brings to the table a very strong common-sense approach."

An estimated 700 to 800 attended the $25-a-plate event. Money raised will help fund local Republican candidates, said Mike Myers, who was the master of ceremonies for this year's event.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:06 pm

Rspaight wrote:Americans "have been tolerant of homosexuality for years, but now it's being stuffed down their throats and they don't like it," DeLay said. "They know it will undermine the very foundation of this society, will undermine our understanding of what families are. Polls tell us that over 70 percent of Americans believe that a marriage is between a man and a woman, no matter what you call it."

Shit like this makes me sick. "Stuffed down their throats"? How so? Are people being forced to go to gay weddings? To have gay people come and live with them?

And how, exactly, is this going to undermine society? People are going to think it's "cool" to be gay and go and marry someone of the same sex? What? I just don't get it.

How can promoting the LOVE between two people undermine society?

He said that a "very telling difference" between the Democratic and Republican parties is that the former "is becoming the party of gay marriages" while the latter "is becoming the party of traditional values I think it's going to carry the day in the upcoming elections."

Isn't marriage a "traditional value"?

And, last I checked, the Democratic party was NOT the party of gay marriage (although I think it's lame that they aren't).

The nation needs to remain focused and "win the war on terror, support our troops, find the terrorists wherever we can and either put them in a cell or put them in the cemetery," DeLay said.

All of that is part of a focus on "security, prosperity and family," he said.

"But security and prosperity are not worth anything if you don't maintain and protect the American family from the onslaught that is attacking the family, starting with gay marriages," he said. "We believe the American family is headed by a man and woman, and that is marriage, and that is the foundation of this country."

So gay marriages are more of a threat to society and families than drug and alcohol abuse, crime, domestic abuse, etc? Should we crimialize divorce because some religions forbid it?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:57 pm

Americans "have been tolerant of homosexuality for years, but now it's being stuffed down their throats and they don't like it," DeLay said.

I was going to make some sort of snide comment about DeLay's use of "Stuffed down their throats," but I'll leave the envisioning up to you folks.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Feb 21, 2004 8:22 pm

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:25 pm

Because monogamous, stable, legally recognized relationships are a much greater threat to society's moral foundation than the Gropenfurher's sexual abuse of women and drug-fueled gang bangs.

Ryan

chrischross

Postby chrischross » Sun Feb 22, 2004 1:03 am

Rspaight wrote:Because monogamous, stable, legally recognized relationships are a much greater threat to society's moral foundation than the Gropenfurher's sexual abuse of women and drug-fueled gang bangs.

Ryan

Yes -- Ahnuld is clearly morally superior to monogamous partners of all preferences.

What do you want to bet he got a nasty phone call from Karl Rove to order the clamp down? Ahnuld pre-governator was always cast as a social liberal, I guess we now know his true colors.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sun Feb 22, 2004 3:35 am

Gropenfurher?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester