O'Reilly Apologizes, Now "Skeptical" of Bush

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

O'Reilly Apologizes, Now "Skeptical" of Bush

Postby Rspaight » Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:50 pm

Remember back when O'Reilly said that if no WMDs were found in Iraq, he'd apologize to the country and "never trust the Bush Administration again"?

I figured he'd just act like it never happened. Well....

Conservative U.S. anchor now skeptical about Bush

REUTERS
5:50 a.m. February 10, 2004

WASHINGTON – Conservative television news anchor Bill O'Reilly said Tuesday he was now skeptical about the Bush administration and apologized to viewers for supporting prewar claims that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction.

The anchor of his own show on Fox News said he was sorry he gave the U.S. government the benefit of the doubt that former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein's weapons program poised an imminent threat, the main reason cited for going to war.

"I was wrong. I am not pleased about it at all and I think all Americans should be concerned about this," O'Reilly said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America."

"What do you want me to do, go over and kiss the camera?" asked O'Reilly, who had promised rival ABC last year he would publicly apologize if weapons were not found.

O'Reilly said he was "much more skeptical about the Bush administration now" since former weapons inspector David Kay said he did not think Saddam had any weapons of mass destruction.

While critical of President Bush, O'Reilly said he did not think the president intentionally lied. Rather, O'Reilly blamed CIA Director George Tenet, who was appointed by former President Clinton.

"I don't know why Tenet still has his job."

He added: "I think every American should be very concerned for themselves that our intelligence is not as good as it should be."

O'Reilly anticipated the presidential election would be a close race, adding he thought Democratic front-runner Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts would be a formidable opponent against Bush.

"It will be a very close race. The nation is divided," he said.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:21 pm

Gettin' a bit chilly in hell, I understand.

Grant

Postby Grant » Wed Feb 11, 2004 6:08 pm

O'Reilly was hoodwinked just like many of us. I can't blame him for being angry.

I don't always agree with O'reilly, and I still think he's too conservative for me, but my respect for him just went up! How many guys would go to their audience and do what he did.

But, he still bashes rappers unfairly.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:41 pm

Well, he's been taking a lot of flak recently for conviniently "forgetting" about such things...y'know, misremembering past statements, et cetera.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Grant

Postby Grant » Thu Feb 12, 2004 4:31 am

Well, I knew it was too good to be true. Right now, i'm watching the O'Reilly Factor, and he just apologized for his apology, and says he supports Bush and hopes they do find WMDs. He also criticized the "liberal" media for twisting his words.

So much for me having respect fot this weasel!

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:04 am

Heh heh.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Feb 12, 2004 3:03 pm

Grant wrote:O'Reilly was hoodwinked just like many of us. I can't blame him for being angry.

I don't always agree with O'reilly, and I still think he's too conservative for me, but my respect for him just went up! How many guys would go to their audience and do what he did.

From what I read up there, he apologized on ABC's Good Morning America...is that 'his' audience?

I would hope he's apologized on his own show by now too.

He's a jerk. IMHO.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Feb 12, 2004 5:26 pm

That damn left wing press...

The WMD Controversy Heats Up

Thursday, February 12, 2004

By Bill O'Reilly

The left-wing press really amuses me.

Anyone who watches “The Factor” knows we have been very critical of the failure of U.S. intelligence over the WMDs in Iraq. And indeed, a recent billoreilly.com poll said that half of the 30,000 of you who voted believe President Bush should admit his administration made a mistake on WMDs. Our analysis of the situation has been clear and to the point: The CIA blew it.

But then I go on "Good Morning America" yesterday and say that I'm personally sorry my analysis on WMDs before the war was wrong and I'm angry about the CIA mistake. I mean, any honest commentator would say that, but the left-wing press sees my admission as some kind of liberal policy vindication and is using my words to hammer the president.

Well, that's dishonest. I still believe removing Saddam was the right thing to do and that history will prove it. And there's also the possibility that WMDs will be found, so I might have to apologize for my apology. I don't mind. I still hope they find WMDs.

But at this point, President Bush should retire George Tenet, the CIA chief. This is the third huge mistake the agency has made. First, the Chinese embassy was bombed in Belgrade because we didn't know where it was. Second, September 11. And third, WMDs. Enough is enough. Tenet should go.

I don't think President Bush lied about WMDs, but he should be stronger in fixing U.S. intelligence. That's the bottom line here. My mistake was not being skeptical enough about the CIA's reporting on WMDs. But the left-wing press, which is so happy about all this, has made dozens of mistakes itself and continues to deny that the world is a better place because Saddam is gone.

Here is a bulletin for you people: The world is a better place and a safer place and America has saved thousands of lives by removing Saddam, something we had the absolute legal right to do.

And one more thing, while most “Factor” viewers understand that our goal here is to look out for the folks, you, not promote a political party or philosophy, still some don't get it. There weren't many, but some e-mails castigated me for having the audacity to criticize the president. Once again, we hold everyone accountable. And if you can't handle that, I'm sorry. That's not an apology. Simply a disappointment that some Americans can't handle independent thought, both on the right and on the left.

And that's The Memo.

------

I also came across this in the previous Talking Points:

On the left side, the embrace of secularism has been a disaster for the nation's children.

Huh? It has?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Grant

Postby Grant » Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:47 pm

krabapple wrote:
Grant wrote:O'Reilly was hoodwinked just like many of us. I can't blame him for being angry.

From what I read up there, he apologized on ABC's Good Morning America...is that 'his' audience?

I would hope he's apologized on his own show by now too.

He's a jerk. IMHO.

I guess you missed my last post.