Bush Handpicks Russert for Sunday Interview

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Bush Handpicks Russert for Sunday Interview

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:53 pm

Why Bush Picked Russert
Friday, Feb 06, 2004; 8:48 AM

President Bush suggested to his staff that he appear on "Meet the Press" on Sunday as a way of answering questions about Iraq after a barrage of Democratic criticism against him, a White House official said yesterday.

Bush's decision to submit to an hour-long interrogation by NBC's Tim Russert comes as Democrats John F. Kerry, Howard Dean, John Edwards and Wesley K. Clark have been denouncing him not just on Sunday morning shows but on programs ranging from "Hardball" and "Larry King Live" to David Letterman's "Late Show" and Jon Stewart's "The Daily Show," where Edwards announced his candidacy.

The president has stepped up his television presence over the past year or so, granting interviews to ABC's Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters, NBC's Tom Brokaw and CNBC's Ron Insana. But at a time when he has dipped in the polls and is on the defensive over the failure to find Iraqi weapons of mass destruction, "Meet the Press" and its audience of 5 million represents a roll of the dice.

Communications Director Dan Bartlett said that Bush, who plans to appoint a commission to examine intelligence failures on Iraq, "felt it was important that the American people hear his thinking on this issue and pursuing the war on terrorism." Bush suggested "Meet the Press" Tuesday because of the "lengthy format" and because "Tim Russert has an enormous amount of respect," Bartlett said.

Others were puzzled. "Frankly, it seems that they're overreacting," said GOP consultant Don Sipple, who worked for Bush's first gubernatorial campaign in Texas. "I don't think it's the best forum for him right now." But, Sipple said, "he's in a much different race than they thought they were in a month and a half ago."

Adam Levine, a former White House aide who played Russert in mock sessions with administration officials, said: "There are times for the White House when it makes sense to do a big, high-profile, difficult interview." He said a Russert interview "is going to be fair and straightforward, and if you pass that test, you've moved beyond those [negative] stories."

Russert, who typically confronts his guests with videotape and graphics of past statements in an effort to highlight inconsistencies, had asked for an interview two weeks ago but was turned down.

"The biggest challenge is trying to distill everything down to an hour," said Russert, who will tape the session at the White House on Saturday. "You could literally have a 12-hour interview and want more. Tone is everything. You realize that anything and everything a president says usually has some impact."

Bush, who did his first live Sunday interview as a presidential candidate with "Meet the Press" in 1999, is not the first White House incumbent to make an appearance. Bill Clinton did it twice, in 1993 and 1997; Jimmy Carter in 1980, and Gerald R. Ford in 1975. Richard B. Cheney has appeared on "Meet the Press" 10 times as vice president.

James Carville, the former Clinton adviser, said that "the president is having a hard time breaking through. The Mars thing was a dud. The State of the Union was a dud. They've got some definite news they're going to try to make. I don't think he's just going to sit there and try to hit pitches."

Appearances on the show have been a factor in the Democratic race. Both Dean and Edwards stumbled after rocky performances and declined to return for months. Dean came back last Sunday and assailed the president.

Bush "has been the punching bag for the Democrats, and to some degree for the news media, for about a month now," said Tobe Berkovitz of Boston University's communications school. "Bush needs to show he is the commander-in-chief of substance, and you don't do that with David Letterman or Jon Stewart or Jay Leno."
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Re: Bush Handpicks Russert for Sunday Interview

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:59 pm

James Carville, the former Clinton adviser, said that "the president is having a hard time breaking through. The Mars thing was a dud. The State of the Union was a dud.

I must have missed that. I thought it was a strong performance that would've resonated with all but the Bush-loathing voters. That aside, I can't see much good [for Bush] coming from an hour-long interview. More fuel for the fire [depending on the questions, of course].
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:15 pm

That aside, I can't see much good [for Bush] coming from an hour-long interview.

Bush off the cuff is always a gamble. I wonder if he'll see the questions in advance. It won't be live, so any real calamities can be excised.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 07, 2004 12:58 am

See the questions in advance? Edit out flubs? Is that "Meet the Press" policy?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Feb 07, 2004 11:30 am

Not usually, as the show is normally live. I gotta figure they're taping this in advance for a reason...

Ryan