John Kerry, the real...... deal?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:27 am

Rspaight wrote:Anybody who lets Bush gets re-elected because they don't think Kerry is progressive enough is a moron. Have we learned nothing from Nader in 2000?

It was kind of funny, in a sad way, seeing Michael Moore courting Wes Clark.

chrischross

Postby chrischross » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:14 pm

Rspaight wrote:Anybody who lets Bush gets re-elected because they don't think Kerry is progressive enough is a moron. Have we learned nothing from Nader in 2000?

Ryan

Where did you suppose that I won't vote for Kerry when/if he gets the nomination. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly!!!

All I'm saying is that Edwards is more "political" than Kerry. That bodes well for him if he can get the nomination. The jury is out on whether or not the 7-foot tall Dukakis can deliver in the general election. I just don't want to wake up on November 3rd facing four more years of Bush.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:35 pm

chrischross wrote:Where did you suppose that I won't vote for Kerry when/if he gets the nomination. Don't jump to conclusions so quickly!!!

All I'm saying is that Edwards is more "political" than Kerry. That bodes well for him if he can get the nomination. The jury is out on whether or not the 7-foot tall Dukakis can deliver in the general election. I just don't want to wake up on November 3rd facing four more years of Bush.

Sorry, wasn't talking to you directly and I didn't interpret your post that way. Just a general observation on those who *would* either not vote or vote for a "protest" candidate because Kerry wasn't ideologically pure enough.

Agreed that Kerry's ability to win in November is as yet undecided, but I'd argue that he has a better shot than Dean would have (if it was that easy to knock Dean off a commanding lead in the primaries, then what hope did he have in November)? Edwards is a popular guy who campaigns well, but his lack of experience would be a factor. Four years in the Senate isn't enough seasoning for a frightened electorate (though he seems infinitely more up to the task than Bush did in 2000).

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Fri Feb 20, 2004 2:53 pm

chrischross wrote: The jury is out on whether or not the 7-foot tall Dukakis can deliver in the general election.

You know, if the real Dukakis had been 7 feet tall, he probably *would* have won...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Feb 20, 2004 5:50 pm

Rspaight wrote:Edwards is a popular guy who campaigns well, but his lack of experience would be a factor. Four years in the Senate isn't enough seasoning for a frightened electorate (though he seems infinitely more up to the task than Bush did in 2000).

On the other hand, Kerry's record could haunt him. That's not to say it's a bad record (I haven't studied it), but there's more than enough to pick out stuff out of context.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 6:35 pm

Very true.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ron

Postby Ron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:31 pm

lukpac wrote:On the other hand, Kerry's record could haunt him. That's not to say it's a bad record (I haven't studied it), but there's more than enough to pick out stuff out of context.

This may have been true when all seemed to be going well for Bush. But as there appears to be a growing dissatisfaction, particularly regarding the war and economy, I wonder if attempts to pick apart Kerry's record won't fail as a growing number of people seem more interested in investigating Bush's record instead. Of course the Democrats have the stage and momentum at present. It's anyone's guess whether the current interest in Bush's decisions/policies will swell and bury him in November or peter out in a couple of months.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:06 pm

Remember the Republican convention back in 1992, when Pat Buchanan got up there and delivered this blistering anti-gay, anti-immigrant, anti-everything speech and made the whole country go, "Whoa, hold on a minute here"?

Watch the 9/11-fest in NYC very closely. I'm beginning to think Bush will win or lose the election there.

Ryan

Ron

Postby Ron » Sat Feb 21, 2004 5:22 am

Good point. But Bush's recent attempts to mine the 9/11 vein have come up well short of expectations. Could it be that a growing number of Americans have had their fill of 9/11 and how it's been exploited for political purposes? The Republicans will try to milk that cow one last time in August-September, but they may find that the cow, she run dry.
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester