Christine O'Donnell: 'God Is the Reason I'm Running'

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Jeff T.

Christine O'Donnell: 'God Is the Reason I'm Running'

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:23 pm

It should be outlawed to claim God as your reason for running. Based on comments at lower end of this article, her shit won't fly with voters.

Jeff

David Gibson
Religion Reporter
A confident Christine O'Donnell, the Republican candidate for Senate in Delaware who is running behind her Democratic opponent, says "God is the reason I'm running" and that the prayers of voters can propel her to an unlikely victory.

In an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, O'Donnell, a conservative Christian and Tea Party favorite with a penchant for headline-making comments, also said there is "certainly a double standard" when it comes to media coverage of conservative women.

"I don't often quote Gloria Steinem, but she said you can look at a double standard if they wouldn't attack the male opponent that way, and there's no doubt that they wouldn't say the things they're saying about me, they wouldn't do the things that they're doing if I weren't a woman," she told CBN's David Brody. "I'm not whining, but there certainly is a double standard, especially when it comes to conservative women."

As she has tried to overcome Democrat Chris Coons' double-digit lead in the polls, O'Donnell has in recent weeks tried to downplay some of her specific religious positions, often drawn from taped appearances years ago on Bill Maher's cable show, "Politically Incorrect." Among them: her opposition to masturbation and evolution, and her belief in creationism.

But in her CBN interview, to be broadcast Tuesday, she returned in detail to her larger belief that her candidacy is divinely inspired and that she is merely a vessel for God's mission.

"If I didn't believe that there were a cause greater than myself worth fighting for, if I didn't believe that it takes a complete dying of self to make things right in this election cycle, I would not be running," O'Donnell tells Brody.

"God will give you the desires of your heart," she says at another point. "Some people think it's what you want. God will give you what you want, but He will create those desires in you so that you have a passion to do what He is calling you to, so through this whole campaign that's what I pray: God, you gave me this desire. You gave me this desire of my heart to serve the people of Delaware, to go in there and be your voice in Congress. Help me here!"

She also says she believes she will win because the polls don't include many first-time voters, who she says will turn out on Election Day. And she believes that will be a triumph for prayer as much as campaign politics.

"[W]hen you die to yourself, you rely on a power greater than yourself, so prayer is what's gotten us all through. The day that we saw a spike in the polls was a day that some people had a prayer meeting for me that morning for this campaign, so I believe that prayer plays a direct role in this campaign and I always ask, 'Please pray for the campaign; please pray for our staff; please pray specifically that the eyes of the voters be opened.' "

As for the clips of her appearances from the 1990s on the Maher show, O'Donnell was unrepentant.

"In the '90s I looked at all the TV opportunities as a ministry opportunity, as an opportunity to share my newfound faith with a television audience that otherwise would not be watching," she says. "If I were planning to run for office in 10-15 years, I would have been much more guarded -- not that I regret anything I've said, but because I'm a vocal person. I state my opinion when I think that something's wrong or right."

thomashill10011:09 PM Oct 25, 2010(2) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down First, I applaud your new policy on readers' comments. As for Ms. O'Donnell, I find her reliance on God seriously disturbing. It is this kind of self-inspired self-righteousness (a direct line to/from God), without any dose of self-questioning or intelligent critical analysis, that drives not only disastrous presidencies like that of "W", but also the terrorism and suicidal missions of jihad. Ms. O'Donnell, fortunately, appears to be headed for failure in her campaign. All the same, this country has an unfortunate penchant for leaders like Ms. O'Donnell (Sarah Palin comes to mind) and many, perhaps a smidgeon more self-aware or cleverer than she, might actually ride the current Tea Party populism to victory. Scary prospects.

mfudbuke11:06 PM Oct 25, 2010(0) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down There is such a thing as knowing the issues and having solutions to the problems we face as a nation. I have yet to see any demonstration of any such knowledge of the issues or any intelligent answers to the problems the nation faces by Ms ODonnell. Instead we get "there is no mention of separation of church and state in the Constitution" which conveniently overlooks over 200 years of this principle being upheald in court decisions. We get this Senate candidate not being able to say which amendments of this same Constitution she disagrees with. If the political climate of the country was different than it is now, she would not even be on the ballot. I have faith that the good voters of Deleware will send this woman back to where she came from.

spacerocker2111:00 PM Oct 25, 2010(6) vote this comment up (2) vote this comment down Ms. O'Donnell seems to be conceding that she can't win in Delaware without divine intervention. What will her faith be like after next Tuesday's election if she loses, which appears likely? Will her faith still be as strong? Or does she aspire to get a gig on Fraud News like her idol, Sarah Palin, as a consolation prize? She's a wanna-be and a pretender and just needs to go home and figure out what kind of a life she can have without that life being part of the political stage. She doesn't belong on that stage.

kkrystalkat10:58 PM Oct 25, 2010(5) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down Wow~What the heck happened to the politicians of this country? This woman has some serious issues. She should have just kept God and every other religion she has exlored out of her political views. Can't she see what a complete jackass she is making of herself? I never comment on these things, but this woman is so obviously in need of a therapist; she does not belong anywhere near a position to make choices for this country. What a loon!

chdblwinnr10:58 PM Oct 25, 2010(4) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down Sorry, but true Christians do NOT "dabble" in witchcraft. As a republican I cannot fathom endorsing her under even the most extreme circumstances.

Chris10:49 PM Oct 25, 2010(22) vote this comment up (8) vote this comment down I wonder how she would feel about my praying to God to keep her OUT of the political office for which she is so under-qualified in so many ways...

alena049511:00 PM Oct 25, 2010(2) vote this comment up (4) vote this comment down Let's not be disingenuous. When she says God is her reason for running, she doesn't mean that God likes her more than He likes Coons; she means she is motivated to run by what she thinks God wants for America. That's quite different. Try to be fair when you criticize someone; remember civilogue, although there must be a better word for it. Really. In other words she is running on principles, and what's so unusual about that? It's better than running because "My rent is too damn high..."

mike020210:48 PM Oct 25, 2010(13) vote this comment up (6) vote this comment down Oh, good, so when this Loon, loses, this means there is no god. Ok, I'm cool with that. Another Palin, lol, Republicans, when will they ever learn? lol.

jbellacero10:46 PM Oct 25, 2010(12) vote this comment up (4) vote this comment down As her opponent also desires to win, by her logic it must be that God has given him that desire of the heart. Doesn't she know how dangerous and arrogant it is to claim to know what God wants? Doesn't she know that her claim that she will go to Congress to be God's voice puts her in the company of the Pharisee who exalted himself while it was the tax-collector who made no claims to being worthy who most pleased the Lord? For someone who despises masturbation, she is certainly doing a great job of stroking herself!

lowcostautotrans10:46 PM Oct 25, 2010(15) vote this comment up (4) vote this comment down I don't know about anyone else but, I am praying to my God that she and all those like her that like to throw around God's name lose. I am pretty sure we don't worship the same God anyway. The God I worship loves the poor, the elderly, the average working man, and wouldn't care for big companies that destroy the wonderful planet that he/she has created. My God wouldn't care for guns and war. My God wouldn't deny people rights because they happen to be female or gay. My God would consider it a sin to deny people health services because they can't afford health insurance. My God would place human need above corporate profit. No, I am pretty sure we are not talking about the same God.

billjghphoto110:45 PM Oct 25, 2010(5) vote this comment up (18) vote this comment down Ms. O'Donnell my prayers are also with you! We need more folks in government that are God Fearing, Loving first and then politicians which is contrary to what I am seeing of the representatives of this day... Thank you. Bill G.

kevinrschmidt10:37 PM Oct 25, 2010(38) vote this comment up (11) vote this comment down Ms O'Donnell can believe in any fairly tale her heart desires, but when politicians in the United States claim God on their side, I pray for their defeat at the election polls. History shows when countries and political leaders claim the moral high ground of God, those same political leaders have consistently had the most corrupt administrations and perpetrated more wars than politicians who have expressed minimal religious beliefs. The simple truth is the United States was not founded as a 'Christian Nation'.

Steve Silva10:34 PM Oct 25, 2010(32) vote this comment up (7) vote this comment down My goodness, what arrogance. So Christine O'Donnell is the candidate of God. God speaks, O'Donnell runs for office. To think that God even gives a rats butt, that this idiot is doing all humanity a big favor by running for Senator, is beyond the pale of reason. But, to think that He actually endorses her candidacy is enough to make even the stoutest voter want to vomit, big time. Religion and patriotism; the last refuge of the crook.

Scott10:22 PM Oct 25, 2010(48) vote this comment up (15) vote this comment down It's obvious that Ms. O'Donnell uses religion for self-serving reasons.

hallrs0510:19 PM Oct 25, 2010(31) vote this comment up (13) vote this comment down She is definitely not a Christian. Never have I heard so much blasphemy. Exploiting God's name for personal gain. You never pray for someone to win and someone to lose and you especially never pray for fame.

anitakornfeld10:19 PM Oct 25, 2010(31) vote this comment up (7) vote this comment down Such arrogance could only come from someone as stupid as this candidate who--more than stupidity--is so ambitious she is aping Palin, trying to get on the speaking tour and earn thousands upon thousands. But worse: using GOD!--just as terrible criminals in prison suddenly find that professing God is saving them and forgiving them of their sins will --just maybe--get them free again! This woman is s utterly disgusting!

brantaydes10:14 PM Oct 25, 2010(30) vote this comment up (6) vote this comment down Enough. This lady has no experience as a leader, and is just another politican looking to feed at the public trough. Maybe she can run for office when she grows up, but hopefully the public doesn't elect someone so completely inept at this point. When a politician so ineloquently and ingenuinely says God is is reason they are running, it is time for us voters to run the other way.

felixdiaz19:59 PM Oct 25, 2010(53) vote this comment up (25) vote this comment down this crazy eoman is blasphemus!!!! God might forgive those who denied His excistance butn not does who exploit His name. Religion should not be a marketing technique for politics.

dorite549:58 PM Oct 25, 2010(49) vote this comment up (21) vote this comment down What a crock of ____ ! What she really means is vote for her and she will force the teaching of religion into the public schools so our children don't have a choice of what religion they choose. The republicans will tell our children which religion they will learn from K - 12. Does she really believe god told her to run? The republicans can not separate religion from government and that is what the problem is in Iran, Iraq, and Afganistan.

teleqsal10:56 PM Oct 25, 2010(0) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down I don't believe it's Republicans but rather conservatives. I'm an Independent and as anti liberal as you can get however I don't want christian extremists in polital offices anymore then muslim extremists, and this "god wants me to run" is truly disgusting.

cptmunson9:56 PM Oct 25, 2010(22) vote this comment up (62) vote this comment down Wait a minute -- I smell a stench -- a last ditch effort by Democrats before November 2 by posting this article . Well - let me tell you something - O'Donnell is a true contender - to many - including myself - a breath of fresh air . Coons is a washed up career politician - the differences are - O'Donnells' brain function is more with it . Coons is on a descent . I too believe in GOD -- and believe O'Donnell has a STRONG chance at winning . And Dems - don't count your eggs before they hatch :))

mosess8110:55 PM Oct 25, 2010(0) vote this comment up (0) vote this comment down if you cannot see that this person is off balance then you should consider not even voting even if you dont reside in delaware. It would be such an obvious disservice to your country becuase your judgement is off as well. What we need are intelligent people who know whattheyare doing. We dont need people who intend to use God as their defense even if/when they make mistakes. By sayingthis she has set herself up for that next step. If she were actuallyinteretsed in the people of deleware she would have been prayingthatGod would give them whatthey need not what "she" desires. That would be called selfish and the furthest thing from dying to self. Think aboutit please.

Eric Mix9:56 PM Oct 25, 2010(36) vote this comment up (16) vote this comment down Perhaps the media isn't focused on her negatively because she's a conservative woman. Maybe it's because she doesn't realize that the theory of evolution is a scientific fact, with more evidence to support it then even the theory of gravity, that creationism is complete stupidity and that such beliefs only further weakens our country's standing in the world when it comes to competing in science, and that she doesn't apparently understand the basic concepts in the 1st ammendment. A person without critical thinking skills should never win an important election like the senate race or for Vice-President like that other person completely lacking in critical thinking skills and knoweldge. Thanks goodness Palin didn't win that race, of course she also thought it was "God's" plan for her to run.