Ken Mehlman comes out

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Ken Mehlman comes out

Postby Rspaight » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:39 am

RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Re: Ken Mehlman comes out

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:56 pm

I saw this online in USA Today and found that comment interesting. A writer at a conservative blog stating that they felt it might not have been a good idea for Mehlman to come out publicly, and rather just stayed in the closet.

I was trying to think of the advantages vs. the disadvantages, or why the hell a conservative blogger would even care what or when a gay puiblic figure discloses their sexuality? Then it came to me, they don't want any more known people to come out and state that they have nothing to be ashamed of, and are happy to come out, because it presents more role models for younger kids, teens, or young adults who might be considering the same move, and are not sure if it is a good idea, or they feel they are alone. And the more people that come out without fear, the less power these biggoted "conservatives" can have over them.

I really know next to nothing about Mehlman and don't care either. It's not a story worth reading imo. But this comment I quoted below caught my eye for some reason. And now I think I understand the politics of it a bit better. I think that this comment below is missing one little tiny thing at the end, blogger allahpundit should have added, it will likely end with him burning in firey hell for being a sinner as well.

See, that is the angle they all seem to take, they want these gays to stay in the closet where they have less political power. It is a boring story to me, and I didn't read any of it, but the back drop story I find more interesting, the reactions to the story are where the story is.

http://t.love.com/361626438
Conservative blogger allahpundit, meanwhile, posts in Hot Air that Mehlman's announcement "won't endear him to gay activists and his new public identity won't endear him to social cons," or social conservatives. The blogger continues: "Maybe he should have just worked for gay marriage like Ted Olson and kept his orientation private?" Olson is the former U.S. solicitor general in the Bush administration who challenged Proposition 8 in court.

(Posted by USA TODAY staff)

Lance Hall

Postby Lance Hall » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:20 pm

Traditional Repubs and Christian Conservatives need to get over their homophobia for sure (yes I said it). I hope eventually most of them will come to the same conclusion like me that Pursuit of Happiness absolutely includes sexual orientation and that discrimation against gays is equally as wrong as discrimation as any other cultural or ethnic group.

Thankfully the tide is slowly being pushed in that direction by Libertarian types on the conservative side. There's also that Log Cabin Republican thing.

The thing is you can be gay but STILL want lower taxes and limited government. The two are in no way mutually exclusive.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:22 am

Lance Hall wrote:Traditional Repubs and Christian Conservatives need to get over their homophobia for sure (yes I said it). I hope eventually most of them will come to the same conclusion like me that Pursuit of Happiness absolutely includes sexual orientation and that discrimation against gays is equally as wrong as discrimation as any other cultural or ethnic group.

Thankfully the tide is slowly being pushed in that direction by Libertarian types on the conservative side. There's also that Log Cabin Republican thing.

The thing is you can be gay but STILL want lower taxes and limited government. The two are in no way mutually exclusive.

It does appear that the tide is slowly changing. I've been reading that the climate has changed dramatically on the Republican side, but that not many there want to admit it in public. In other words, many want to keep the image of ultra conservatism for the votes that can be gained from that stance while quietly and privately agreeing to do away with DADT in the military, etc.

This topic is really being pushed to the front burner a lot lately. I guess it is sign of things to come. Because before, it was simply not open for discussion, and not acceptable simple as that. I get the feeling that this is not going away. And even the ruling that Prop 8 in California which has been struck down as unconstitutional is just another sign things are changing, if very slowly.

It's really too bad that so much energy is taken up worrying about who sleeps where and with whom, when we have some real serious other issues that need fixed in this country.

And if we can't get over this gay this and gay that nonsense, then this country is really falling behind and missing the bigger issues. And in California, prop 8 (originally) passing was a sign that this state is no longer the leading and trend setting state it used to be. What goes down in CA is often and generally followed in other states. This is the way it has always been. So it was especially great to see prop 8 overturned. CA is bankrupt and in very bad shape, and the last thing we need is to make any group of productive people feel unwelcome and second class, and want to move elsewhere. Yeah, push out the creative "gay" crowd, and make way for more illegals working under the table and unable to pay taxes.