More McCain smoke and mirrors

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:20 pm

So has the "McCain wins debate" banner reared its ugly head anywhere for a second time today? :lol:
Craig

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:32 pm

David R. Modny wrote:Conversely, I think he does need to drop the hammer -- big time -- when need be. My biggest fear is that his intellectual approach will get dwarfed by the folksy, sound bite horsesh*t that people sometimes respond to.

With more debates coming, he will have the opportunity to do just that. I hope that they are simply pacing him. The last debate will have some "more" fire I'd think.

This is very historical what we are seeing. While I consider us guys here to be young men, there is a torch being passed at this moment in time. The times are a-changin' and this time like we've never seen before. It may not be all good, but there is something happening here. There are the Bush screw-ups/scandals combined with some really bad luck, and this could not be worse for that party.

And likewise, Obama is walking into the worst mess anyone could walk into. But the line has been drawn and the curse it is cast.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:35 am

I think Obama was being way too nice. If I took a shot each time Obama said, "Senator McCain is absolutely right" I would be hammered. Why didn't he call McCain out for the torture flip flop?

Obviously Obama's answers were far less full of shit than McCain but for your average unimformed American it appeared like Obama was on the defensive and had something to hide.

Is it just me or does Obama stutter more than he used to?

I don't think Obama did bad but I expected him to kick ass and he didn't exactly do that.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:41 am

I was a bit disappointed that he dodged the surge question on multiple occasions. Better to address it now.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:53 am

Historically, I think the first debate has usually been the "feel your candidate out" debate - with both sides being cautious not to make the *big* slip up. I also think that Obama is obviously gearing these debates toward the undecided middle. The idealogues have already pretty much made their minds up. Sadly, in that regard, he has to tread extra lightly so that he's not portrayed as the "angry black man" by racists prepared to float that card. Heck, Gore pounded his fist a couple of times during the first debate in 2000...and *he* was crucified by middle America. It's true that it's as much a grade of style as anything with a good portion of the electorate. Yet, if the early polls are to be trusted, it was with this very undecided middle that he scored best tonight. So, props to him if it all works.

Still, I'm hoping the gloves will come off a *bit* more in the next one.

PS - He's always had the "reflective" pause/stammer during interviews and debates - at least from what I've seen. Personally, I don't think it hurts him though. It seems to help it appear that he's not just reciting some rehearsed talking point off his "mental teleprompter." That is, I don't perceive it as a pause due to a lack of words, but rather just wanting to choose the right words.
Last edited by David R. Modny on Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:13 am

It would have been more fun if Obama had landed some zingers, but that may have distracted from his more important goal, which was to look presidential and show a decent grasp of foreign policy. I think he accomplished that.

Overall, it was an unmemorable evening. But if all people remember a week from now is that Obama held his own, that's probably enough.

And maybe just maybe some people finally caught on to the fact that McCain can be a real asshole.

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:11 am

I'm struggling to come up with a reason why the McCain camp thinks this is a good ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec3aC8ZJZTc

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:48 pm

Saying "John McCain is right" 3 times means Obama isn't ready to lead?

I don't get it.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:48 pm

The only explanation I can come up with is that agreeing with McCain makes him a follower rather than a leader.

But I prefer to think they're saying we can't trust Obama because he agrees with a sleazebag like McCain.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Obviously, never admitting you agree with your opponent is the mark of a true statesman.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:02 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:I'm struggling to come up with a reason why the McCain camp thinks this is a good ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec3aC8ZJZTc
One of the comments nailed it:
This is like a political ad out of The Simpsons.

"Barak Obama agrees with McCain. Can we trust a man with such poor judgment? Vote McCain '08!"

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:42 am

[scene shows prisoners going in a revolving door and coming out immediately]
Voice: Mayor Quimby supports revolving door prisons. Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob -- a man twice convicted of attempted murder.
[scene shows prisoners leaving on escalator and ski lift]
Can you trust a man like Mayor Quimby? Vote Sideshow Bob for mayor.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Obama Makes McCain Very Uncomfortable

By David Nather | October 1, 2008 8:40 PM

Let the record reflect that Barack Obama made the approach to John McCain tonight.

As the two shared the Senate floor tonight for the first time since they won their party nominations, Obama stood chatting with Democrats on his side of the aisle, and McCain stood on the Republican side of the aisle.

So Obama crossed over into enemy territory.

He walked over to where McCain was chatting with Republican Sen. Mel Martinez of Florida and Independent Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman of Connecticut. And he stretched out his arm and offered his hand to McCain.

McCain shook it, but with a “go away” look that no one could miss. He tried his best not to even look at Obama.

Finally, with a tight smile, McCain managed a greeting: “Good to see you.”

Obama got the message. He shook hands with Martinez and Lieberman — both of whom greeted him more warmly — and quickly beat a retreat back to the Democratic side.