Trouble in paradise

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
David R. Modny

Trouble in paradise

Postby David R. Modny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:34 am

That is, when even the granddaddy of conservative commentators sees the writing on the wall. This is a ready-made TV ad for the Obama campaign. Let's hope they use it!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02583.html

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:42 am

I saw a CNN poll the morning. By a factor of roughly two to one, people blame the Republicans over the Democrats for the financial meltdown. (It was 47-23 or 43-27 or something like that.)

Next slide, these same people think McCain will do a better job with the economy than Obama, 53-43.

WTF? "McCain has extensive experience running the economy into the ground. His involvement in the Keating Five scandal was impressive. He's the guy I want in charge as the banking system implodes." :?
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 am

Rspaight wrote:I saw a CNN poll the morning. By a factor of roughly two to one, people blame the Republicans over the Democrats for the financial meltdown. (It was 47-23 or 43-27 or something like that.)

Next slide, these same people think McCain will do a better job with the economy than Obama, 53-43.

WTF? "McCain has extensive experience running the economy into the ground. His involvement in the Keating Five scandal was impressive. He's the guy I want in charge as the banking system implodes." :?

That's weird. This was taken from a CNN poll *yesterday*:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - More Americans think Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama would do a better job handling an economic crisis than his Republican opponent John McCain, according to a CNN public opinion poll released on Monday.

Forty-nine percent of those questioned said Obama, and Illinois senator, would display good judgment in an economic crisis, six points higher than McCain, an Arizona senator.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080923/pl_ ... ics_poll_1

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:52 am

And...we also found out yesterday that...

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... refer=home

McCain Transition Head Lobbied for Freddie Mac Before Takeover

By Jonathan D. Salant and Timothy J. Burger
Enlarge Image/Details

Sept. 23 (Bloomberg) -- The lobbying firm of the man Republicans say John McCain has chosen to begin planning a presidential transition earned more than a quarter of a million dollars this year representing Freddie Mac, one of the companies McCain blames for the nation's financial crisis.

Timmons & Co., whose founder and chairman emeritus is William Timmons Sr., was registered to lobby for Freddie Mac from 2000 through this month, when the federal government took over both Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae.

Newly available congressional records show Timmons's firm received $260,000 this year before its lobbying activities were barred under terms of the government rescue of the failed mortgage giant. Timmons, 77, is listed as a lobbyist for Freddie Mac on the company's midyear financial-disclosure form.

While Republicans say Timmons is making plans for the transition if McCain wins in November, the campaign wouldn't confirm his role. Timmons didn't return a phone call seeking comment.

McCain has labeled Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae as prime culprits in creating the financial storm that has roiled Wall Street and Washington.

``At the center of the problem were the lobbyists, politicians, and bureaucrats who succeeded in persuading Congress and the administration to ignore the festering problems at Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac,'' he said last week in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

``Using money and influence, they prevented reforms that would have curbed their power and limited their ability to damage our economy,'' he said. ``And now, as ever, the American taxpayers are left to pay the price for Washington's failure.''

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Now I'm really confused. Here's the article on the the poll (bolding mine):

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/20 ... al-crisis/

In the new survey, released Monday afternoon, 47 percent of registered voters questioned say Republicans are more responsible for the problems currently facing financial institutions and the stock market, with 24 percent saying Democrats are more responsible. One in five of those polled blame both parties equally, and 8 percent say neither party is to blame.

The poll also indicates that more Americans think Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, would do a better job handling an economic crisis than McCain, the Republican presidential nominee. Forty-nine percent of those questioned say Obama would display good judgment in an economic crisis, 6 points higher than the number who said the same about McCain. And Obama has a 10 point lead over McCain on the question of who would better handle the economy overall.

These numbers appear to be affecting the battle for the presidency. Fifty-one percent of registered voters are backing Obama, who now holds a 5 point edge over McCain, at 46 percent. McCain and Obama were tied at 48 percent apiece in the previous CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey. Obama's advantage, while growing, is still within the poll's sampling error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

When I saw this on TV this morning, I swear on a stack of Buddy Holly master tapes that the first number matched what's above, but the next two were REVERSED. They reported McCain has being ten points ahead of Obama on the economy question (53-43), and they had McCain ahead of Obama in the race - 51-46. The screen clearly said "CNN/ORC 9/19-9/21."

The sound was off, so I don't know what was said. Damn liberal media.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Re: Trouble in paradise

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 am

David R. Modny wrote:even the granddaddy of conservative commentators sees the writing on the wall.

I was at a dinner Sat. with some friends including a former co-worker I had not seen in ten years. It was just 5 guys drinking, dinner, smoke, and boot dvd viewing. Anyway, one of the guys said he is Republican and yet him and the wife are voting Obama.

That is another one David, Reps going Dem for this election! There is a feeling that the R party is complete toast for at least 4 years, but likely 8 or more. That is what I see all over this town.

But of course I'm sure there are those that think Bush has been the best we've ever had. Do we need a complete and total breakdown of our country for some to see how fucked we are?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:38 am

There's that hardcore 30% of Limbaughbots who will blame the "liberals" for anything and never be budged. At best they'd stay home if McCain was caught on film fellating Osama.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:37 pm

Can someone explain to why no one is talking about the Keating Five? Might Obama saving that for the debates or does he not want to touch it because of dems involved in the scandal?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:37 pm

Chris M wrote:Can someone explain to why no one is talking about the Keating Five? Might Obama saving that for the debates or does he not want to touch it because of dems involved in the scandal?

Exactly. Between this and being surprisingly kind to Bush's legacy, the Obama campaign really seems to be missing some easy marks.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:13 pm

Howard Dean mentioned McCain's Keating Five connection in an interview yesterday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpiP6z43Q4g

Admittedly, it's a brief mention.