McCain to deliver acceptance speech atop bodies of victims

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

McCain to deliver acceptance speech atop bodies of victims

Postby Rspaight » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:12 pm

McCain was scheduled to deliver his acceptance speech Thursday, but now may do so from the devastation zone if the storm hits the U.S. coast with the ferocity feared by forecasters.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/13013.html

I'm sure those in the path of the storm will be glad to host a political rally as they pick through their ruined homes. Sad part is that it'll probably buy him some cheap points. "See? He cares about the little guy!"
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:34 pm

Our thoughts are truly with our friends and neighbors in the South. Let's hope they and their homes can escape any devastation.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:08 am

See, this just has Rove written all over it. Do something sleazy, then attack the other side for doing that exact thing (whether they have or not). The opponent is on defense before they can attack you, and you get away with it: win-win. It's a brilliant little bit of jujitsu.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:50 am

Predictably lackluster speech from McCain last night. Sounds like he just rearranged Obama's, popped a Benadryl, threw in a few of the usual 'Pub talking points (i.e. lies), the word "God" here and there, and then inserted himself into the narrative as needed. Media was a bit more restrained compared to their ridiculous over-the-top gushing of Palin's (ahem...I mean Scully's) juvenile snark-fest. Many seemed unimpressed by it. Though, if I have to hear one more writer -- who should know better -- use the term "maverick," or claim how he has already "broken" with the party, I think my head is going to explode. He's already sold his soul.

The media has reached new lows over the past few weeks, even by their own pitiful standards. It's almost as if they've resolved themselves to the fact that most viewers don't know (or care about) the particulars of politics, issues and ideology. So, they have to sell it as if it's Dancing With The Stars instead. Don't get me wrong - it goes both ways. Even though I might agree with him philosophically, Olbermann's cheerleading last week was pretty cringeworthy at times too.

Associated Press writers, as a whole, have been the absolute worst in print though for the "mainstream" media. Virtually NOTHING is challenged. Blatant lies are printed. Images are packaged and sold. The line between legit and tabloid gets blurrier. The bar gets lower and lower.

Edward Murrow must be turning over (again!)...

PS - I did have to chuckle at this one though:

Michael Tomasky, writing in the Guardian, thought it was "intentionally awful". In a withering critique, he says: "John McCain sounded like the vestry board chairman speaking at the church social about the success of the raffle. Or, as a colleague just put it: he looked like the guy who'd been the office accountant for 40 years giving his retirement address. After he'd eaten a little too much Chicken Kiev."
Last edited by David R. Modny on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:01 am

Agreed on the "maverick" indigestion. That might have flown ten years ago, but he's a company man now. Hell, he caved to the administration on TORTURE, the one issue where he had a real grasp of the moral high ground.

The McCain message is "hire me to fix the mess I helped create."

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:33 am

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:35 am

Maybe...it was phonetic?

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:37 am

Hmmm, had to backpedal on the "experience" and "celebrity" cards, so...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200809 ... tico/13170

The scary part is that people just might be gullible enough to buy into it. Collective amnesia tends to rear its ugly head as November closes in.