Palin? Really?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:51 pm

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:37 pm

My own personal beef is with the Associated Press. AP writer Liz Sidoti has been single-handedly acting as McCain's personal mainstream media cheerleader -- masquerading as news -- since the campaign began. Here's her latest puff-piece. BTW, she was also the AP writer who got to "break" the story when the "+1" outlier poll was released last week.

McCain's "Rocky Balboa" now...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081028/ap_ ... iu8w5snwcF

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:07 pm

I'm sure you are correct about the AP writer. But this article I thought just simply states that the McCain party knows the reality of it, and they know they are behind. They quote others who say McCain is not likely to win.

It's not a real optimistic piece "Rocky" theme being played or not, they are losing in the polls (except for that AP poll we saw last week that seems to have fallen off the planet by now) This piece is not trying (again) to deny that fact.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:01 am

Personally speaking, that's not what I got out of it. I think the qualifiers were merely stated to try and convey that "though he's down...he's still not out" in his mind. That is, to try and portray the notion of an underdog fighter who, against all odds, claws back with gritty determination to the best of his ability - all done altruistically of course.

And, to cement his legacy as a "good guy with the best intentions" should he lose and in spite of all that's gone down (i.e. the noted disunity, disharmony, gimmicks, etc.).

Not outright lies...a la FOX. Just a puff-piece, IMHO, set up to "balance" the negative reality all around him and to rally what's left of the base. As the piece ends:

"McCain drew applause when he said, "I've been tested. Sen. Obama hasn't" and a standing ovation when he said, "I will bring our troops home with honor and victory and not in defeat."

The night before in Pottsville, Pa., several thousand people in a school district field house roared approval when McCain and his wife Cindy entered to the theme from the "Rocky" movies.

At one point, he said "If I'm elected," and then quickly corrected himself, saying "WHEN I'm elected president ..." The crowd went wild."

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:30 am

I see what you mean, and yes it is puffy. When I read "although the arena wasn't filled" when speaking of his crowd, I felt that the reality was there in that phrase.

And when he had to correct himself from "if" to "when" he is elected, says that he knows the score thus far.

I'm a Dem all the way anyway. But I think had McCain run in a different year or a different decade he would have have been more successful. Every single thing went against him. There is a convincing way with which he speaks. It still gives me the creeps, as I know that kind of slime having worked with people who he reminds me of. But everything that can go wrong for a party went wrong. Nothing to do with McCain, but he simply ran for President the wrong decade and for the wrong party.

I think this article hints that things are not all fine and dandy.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:39 am

Jeff T. wrote:I think this article hints that things are not all fine and dandy.

Oh, that goes without saying. I think if he loses, he'll be looking to come out of this unscathed while they play the blame game. It almost seems like they're already setting Palin up for the fall, and she's bucking them in anticipation.

I will say this also: If he loses (hopefully, that's actually a "when"), I do think that history will show that the Palin pick was his ultimate undoing.
Last edited by David R. Modny on Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:40 am

And coming up next week all this will be over. I'll be glad because I don't like negative attacks and dirty politics. I have not looked at broadcast tv since June 3rd, and feel better because of it.

But we can't really begin to get past this horrible era until the new president takes office. And I hope that as he gets some things done and gets banking regulation back in place, the natural cycle of good economic prosperity returns making the Democratic party stronger, and securing the house and senate and ultimately the courts.

Boy oh boy the Republicans did some damage this time didn't they! But thankfully we have elections every eight years. And there is time to get back to prosperity and leadership here in the good ol' USA.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:51 am

David R. Modny wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:I think this article hints that things are not all fine and dandy.

Oh, that goes without saying. I think if he loses, he'll be looking to come out of this unscathed while they play the blame game. It almost seems like they're already setting Palin up for the fall, and she's bucking them in anticipation.

I will say this also: If he loses (hopefully, that's actually a "when"), I do think that history will show that the Palin pick was his ultimate undoing.

I agree, and we know it was not really Palin, that was only a poor choice that was ultimately NO help for him. He was, or is pretty much doomed by fate, or doomed by his party (GW Bush's severe failings) and his age which he had no control over.

But the "Palin pick" is what will be remembered. Do you think it will be because she has such a colorfully checkered recent past, or her debate performance? There is some baggage she dragged into the stage, when they expected a clean and clear neutral running mate.

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:07 am

Jeff T. wrote:
But the "Palin pick" is what will be remembered. Do you think it will be because she has such a colorfully checkered recent past, or her debate performance? There is some baggage she dragged into the stage, when they expected a clean and clear neutral running mate.

If he loses (again, hopefully, that's a "when"):

Personally, I think it will be because the two things it was set up to do, a) placate enough of the far religious right vote while trying to ride those wings to victory a la '04, and b) steal a portion of the independent PUMA crowd, failed in both aspects - primarily due to the transparency, gimmickry and ideological hypocrisy of it all.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 am

I spent an hour reading some conservative websites to see what they think of MaCain's chances. And they all are about 90% certain that it is now too late, and age being a major factor. The Palin choice was not mentioned as a negative, and they seem to like her. I thought that was odd.

here is one conservative's view in Aug.
Ten reasons why Barack Obama will not win the 2008 presidential election — and none of them have anything to do with his middle name.
http://www.intellectualconservative.com ... -election/

and then again same guy early Oct.
5 reasons why John McCain is in big trouble — and none of them have to do with Barack Obama.
http://www.intellectualconservative.com ... -election/

And then of course another pov on Palin:
http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/t ... mccai.html

"the pick is a devastating one - because it basically destroys John McCain's credibility as a presidential decision-maker. His first major decision as a future president is one of the worst in American political history. That alone should be enough to seal his fate next Tuesday. You need nothing else".

and here this I think is a different article than what we have all already already read, but same thing basically.

Rift Cracks 'Demoralized' McCain Campaign
McCain Staffers Blame Palin's Lack of Readiness; Palin Loyalists Blame Over-Managing

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008 ... 663&page=1

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:01 am

If you want to see how the McCain campaign played out behind the scenes over the last couple of months, read these two articles

this on on how Sarah Palin came to be picked (basically, she gave stiffies to the loathsome old white male conservative punditocacy when they took a jaunt to Alaska in '07/early 08 -- Kristol, Barnes, Dick Morris -- and they pushed hard for her behind the scenes)

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008 ... fact_mayer

this on the Rovians' desperate search for a campaign 'narrative' that would stick

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magaz ... ref=slogin

I think McCain will end up being a tragic figure....a basically good politician (with all the caveats that carries) who might have been a *real* maverick. He missed his opportunity back in '00 thanks to the same breed of Atwater-style republican thugs who drove his current campaign into the mud. And he'll be the guy who got *played* by Sarah Palin.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant