Palin? Really?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:46 am

My impression of the cover was that she really does look good for 45 and has nice teeth. Oh, well. God, Megyn Kelly is so annoying. I can't wait for BillO to sexually harass her.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:26 pm

She is a pretty lady no doubt, but the over sized face on the cover makes her look imposing, like she does not belong there. And when you see the cover next to other covers on the newstand, it makes this point even stronger.

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:24 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/10/ ... index.html

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (CNN) -- Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin abused her power as Alaska's governor by trying to get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the state police, a state investigator's report concluded Friday.

"Gov. Palin knowingly permitted a situation to continue where impermissible pressure was placed on several subordinates in order to advance a personal agenda," the report states.

Public Safety Commissioner Walt Monegan's refusal to fire State Trooper Mike Wooten from the state police force was "likely a contributing factor" to Monegan's July dismissal, but Palin had the authority as governor to fire him, the report by former Anchorage prosecutor Stephen Branchflower states.

However, it states that her efforts to get Wooten fired broke a state ethics law that bars public officials from pursuing personal interest through official action.

The bipartisan Legislative Council, which commissioned the investigation after Monegan was fired, unanimously adopted the 263-page public report after a marathon executive session Friday. About 1,000 more pages of documents compiled during the inquiry will remain confidential, the council's chairman, state Sen. Kim Elton, said.

Rep. John Coghill, a Republican who criticized the handling of the investigation, said it was "well-done professionally."

But he said some of the conclusions were judgment calls by Branchflower, and recommended readers should view them with a "jaundiced eye."

Monegan said he was fired after refusing pressure to fire State Trooper Mike Wooten, who had gone through an acrimonious divorce and custody battle with Palin's sister.

Palin has repeatedly denied wrongdoing, describing Wooten as a "rogue trooper" who had threatened her family. Wooten denied the allegations.

At a campaign stop Thursday, Palin told reporters that she has "absolutely nothing to hide" in the investigation.

The governor originally agreed to cooperate with the Legislative Council inquiry, and disclosed in August that her advisers had contacted Department of Public Safety officials nearly two dozen times regarding her ex-brother-in-law.

But when she became Sen. John McCain's running mate, her advisers began painting the investigation as a weapon of Democratic partisans.

Ahead of Friday's hearing, Palin supporters wearing clown costumes and carrying balloons denounced the investigation as a "kangaroo court" and a "three-ring circus" led by supporters of Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The state senator managing the investigation, Sen. Hollis French, fueled those complaints with a September 2 interview in which he warned the inquiry could yield an "October Surprise" for the GOP.

But Palin's lawyers already had begun pushing for the state Personnel Board to launch its own investigation, calling it the proper legal venue for the matter.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:42 am

Geez, and I thought McCain would be a dull Republican nominee next to someone like Romney, Huckabee or Giuliani. He's given us more entertainment than I ever thought possible. Hats off to the GOP for picking the right guy.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:47 am

She's a dirty tainted bird, this is about the last fucking thing they needed - a scandal. They will try and brush it off as all about nothing, like Rove would have.

But I feel it in my gut, it's Dem time this next 8 years. I thought that before the banks started going bust, before the second coming of the Great Depression hit.

Now... "I've never been so sure of something in my entire life" :lol:

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 am

Rspaight wrote:Geez, and I thought McCain would be a dull Republican nominee next to someone like Romney, Huckabee or Giuliani. He's given us more entertainment than I ever thought possible. Hats off to the GOP for picking the right guy.

He was the best they could do this time -- with so little to choose from.

I don't dislike McCain that much. He has an appealing gentle way about him. But it is time for some new fresh faces, it is the changing of the guard, passing of the torch or whatever. His timing was off, and he was unlucky enough to attempt following Bush's double failure double term. And then he picked a poor running mate. The stars did not line up quite right.

He knows he is doomed unless they can rig Florida and/or Ohio. I'm sure they are looking into buying this election if possible. But I think it will be landslide, and landslides are really tough to rig.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:13 am

Has anyone crashed and burned on the national stage as spectacularly as Palin? I mean, Quayle was derided from day one. But coming out of the convention, Palin was being talked about with a straight face as a rising star in the GOP. But look at this:

From +20 favorability to -20 in a month. That's change we can believe in, my friends.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:02 am

Ow fak......not another scandal so soon after Troopergate :lol:

Palin Charged Alaska for Kids' Travel (She Changed Expense Reports Later) :roll:

By BRETT J. BLACKLEDGE, ADAM GOLDMAN and MATT APUZZO, AP
posted: 10 HOURS 22 MINUTES AGO comments: Election News, John McCain, Sarah PalinWith HP wireless printers, ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Oct. 21) - Gov. Sarah Palin charged the state for her children to travel with her, including to events where they were not invited, and later amended expense reports to specify that they were on official business.

The charges included costs for hotel and commercial flights for three daughters to join Palin to watch their father in a snowmobile race, and a trip to New York, where the governor attended a five-hour conference and stayed with 17-year-old Bristol for five days and four nights in a luxury hotel.
In all, Palin has charged the state $21,012 for her three daughters' 64 one-way and 12 round-trip commercial flights since she took office in December 2006. In some other cases, she has charged the state for hotel rooms for the girls.
Alaska law does not specifically address expenses for a governor's children. The law allows for payment of expenses for anyone conducting official state business.
As governor, Palin justified having the state pay for the travel of her daughters — Bristol, 17; Willow, 14; and Piper, 7 — by noting on travel forms that the girls had been invited to attend or participate in events on the governor's schedule.

But some organizers of these events said they were surprised when the Palin children showed up uninvited, or said they agreed to a request by the governor to allow the children to attend.
Several other organizers said the children merely accompanied their mother and did not participate. The trips enabled Palin, whose main state office is in the capital of Juneau, to spend more time with her children.
"She said any event she can take her kids to is an event she tries to attend," said Jennifer McCarthy, who helped organize the June 2007 Family Day Celebration picnic in Ketchikan that Piper attended with her parents.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:36 am

Family values!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:34 pm

Palin-Hughley in 2012?

"As I approached the venue, I could see the crowd was very diverse. White people. White people with mustaches. And white women with visors."
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:26 am

The facade appears to be cracking open now.....

Palin 'Going Rogue,' McCain Aide Says
CNN
With 10 days to go until Election Day, long-brewing tensions between GOP vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin and key aides to Sen. John McCain have become so intense they are spilling out in public, sources say.
Several McCain advisers have suggested to CNN that they have become increasingly frustrated with what one aide described as Palin "going rogue." A Palin associate, however, said the candidate is simply trying to "bust free" of what she believes was a damaging and mismanaged roll-out.

McCain sources say Palin has gone off message several times, and they privately wonder if the incidents were deliberate. They cited that she labeled robocalls -- recorded messages often used to attack a candidate's opponent -- "irritating" even as the campaign defended their use. Also, they pointed to her telling reporters she disagreed with the campaign's decision to pull out of Michigan.

A second McCain source tells CNN she appears to be looking out for herself more than the McCain campaign.
"She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone," said this McCain adviser. "She does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else.

"Also, she is playing for her own future and sees herself as the next leader of the party. Remember: Divas trust only unto themselves as they see themselves as the beginning and end of all wisdom."
A Palin associate defended her by saying she is "not good at process questions" and that her comments on Michigan and the robocalls were answers to process questions.

But this Palin source acknowledged that Palin is trying to take more control of her message, pointing to last week's impromptu press conference on a Colorado tarmac.

Tracey Schmitt, Palin's press secretary, was urgently called over after Palin wandered over to the press and started talking. Schmitt unsuccessfully tried several times to end the unscheduled session.
"We acknowledge that perhaps she should have been out there doing more," a different Palin adviser recently told CNN, arguing, "It's not fair to judge her off one or two sound bites" from the network interviews.
The Politico reported Saturday on Palin's frustration, specifically with McCain advisers Nicolle Wallace and Steve Schmidt. They helped decide to limit Plain's initial press contact to high-profile interviews with Charlie Gibson of ABC and Katie Couric of CBS, which all McCain sources admit were highly damaging.

In response, Wallace e-mailed CNN the same quote she gave the Politico:
"If people want to throw me under the bus my personal belief is that the most honorable thing to do is to lie there," Wallace wrote.
But two sources, one Palin associate and one McCain adviser, defended the decision to keep her press interaction limited after she was first picked, both saying flatly that she was not ready and missteps could have been a lot worse. They insisted she needed time to be briefed on national and international issues and on McCain's record.
Palin spokeswoman Tracey Schmitt came to the back of the plane Saturday to deliver a statement to traveling reporters: "Unnamed sources with their own agenda will say what they want, but from Gov. Palin down, we have one agenda, and that's to win on Election Day."
Yet another senior McCain adviser lamented the public recriminations.
"This is what happens with a campaign that's behind, it brings out the worst in people fingerpointing and scapegoating," this senior adviser told CNN.
This adviser also decried the double standard, noting that Obama's running mate, Joe Biden, has gone off the reservation as well, most recently by telling donors at a fundraiser that America's enemies will try to "test" Obama.
Tensions like those within the McCain-Palin campaign are not unusual; vice presidential candidates also have a history of butting heads with the top of the ticket.
John Edwards and his inner circle repeatedly questioned Sen. John Kerry strategy in 2004, and Kerry loyalists repeatedly aired in public their view that Edwards would not play the traditional attack dog role with relish because he wanted to protect his future political interests.
Even in a winning campaign like Bill Clinton's, some of Al Gore's aides in 1992 and again in 1996 questioned how Gore was being scheduled for campaign events.
Jack Kemp's aides distrusted the Dole camp and vice versa, and Dan Quayle loyalists had a list of gripes remarkably similar to those now being aired by Gov. Palin's aides.
CNN's Dana Bash, Peter Hamby, Ed Hornick and John King contributed to this report.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:37 pm

Going rogue, but, uh, where? This feels like some sort of odd campaign to convince wavering supporters that Palin's merely been poorly stage-managed, and that she's really fearsome and independent.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:47 am

Or it is a sign that they know they are circling the drain and the infighting has begun. And I would bet that Palin once she is convinced of this would try to salvage her own reputation, and preserve as much of her 15 minutes as she can for 2012 or 2016.

Or she got a taste of the big time and knows she does not have what it takes, and learned a big lesson.

But I don't see some alternate spun motive.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:06 pm

She's got her winky eye on her post-election day political career...for which she has high hopes.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:43 pm

Just when I think Fox can't get any more blatant I pull up www.foxnews.com and see "Obama on Obama: Marxist Friends" is the lead story.
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant