Palin? Really?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:54 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/09/ ... 0618.shtml

Palin supports legal abortion:

Couric: But ideally, you think it should be illegal for a girl who was raped or the victim of incest to get an abortion?

Palin: I'm saying that, personally, I would counsel the person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in. And, um, if you're asking, though, kind of foundationally here, should anyone end up in jail for having an … abortion, absolutely not. That's nothing I would ever support.

Palin says homosexuality is a bad "choice":

But as for homosexuality, I am not going to judge Americans and the decisions that they make in their adult personal relationships. I have one of my absolute best friends for the last 30 years happens to be gay, and I love her dearly. And she is not my "gay friend," she is one of my best friends, who happens to have made a choice that isn't a choice that I have made. But I am not going to judge people.

Palin reads "all" news sources, but doesn't know the names of any of them:

Couric: And when it comes to establishing your worldview, I was curious, what newspapers and magazines did you regularly read before you were tapped for this to stay informed and to understand the world?

Palin: I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media.

Couric: What, specifically?

Palin: Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years.

Couric: Can you name a few?

Palin: I have a vast variety of sources where we get our news, too. Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, "Wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?" Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America.

The comments on that page are a hoot, with all the Palin fans attacking Couric for "hounding" poor Sarah with endless "questions." "So what if she's not very informed? You media elites just don't like average people!"

Because when I step into that voting booth, it's vitally important that I know the candidate I vote for is more ignorant than I am. That way, I'm not an "elite."

I'll bet any amount of money that the idiots attacking the media for making an issue of Palin's ignorance and "hating ordinary Americans" are the same idiots who said Obama wasn't experienced enough to be President and attacked the media for not focusing enough on it.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:54 pm

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:08 pm

Twenty minutes later and I'm still cringing.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:20 pm

Xenu wrote:Twenty minutes later and I'm still cringing.

Hated to see it end?

-Matt

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:28 pm

Maverick...corruption...Wall Street...mavericks...corruption...middle class...fight...maverick.

Biden owned her. End of story.

She may have connected with her low information voter...but she didn't convert anyone new.

Next.

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Yep, Joe got his stabs in at John, didn't he?
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:33 pm

I have to add, while Biden was good Palin had to at least have exceeded some expectations..
-Matt

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:37 pm

Matt wrote:I have to add, while Biden was good Palin had to at least have exceeded some expectations..

If this was for a grade on rote memorization of rhetoric and talking points, as well as directly avoiding questions...yes.

Edited: For spelling error. :)
Last edited by David R. Modny on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:44 pm

That bad, eh?
-Matt

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:48 pm

Take it for what it's worth...but...

CNN:

Who fared better in the vice presidential debate?
Sen. Joe Biden 71% 103391
Gov. Sarah Palin 26% 37369
Neither 3% 4825

Matt

Postby Matt » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:55 pm

I saw that poll a few minutes ago myself. Such is life. In all honesty I have to admit a few times when he was speaking, Biden projected a strong image of authority. Better than Barack, at times, in my opinion.
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Biden's damn good at what he does.

Palin's responses were reasonably coherent sentence by sentence, but there was nothing holding them together. No sinew, no anything; her points never coalesced into anything. A true indication, in my mind, of repetition without knowledge.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:26 pm

BTW...it seems that the "new" definition of "populism" is: One who deliberately avoids a question, while repeatedly reciting a memorized block of words.

Of course, mixed in with a few folk tales (and still avoiding the question).

Glittering generalities indeed...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:12 am

I enjoyed this:

But on the major principle things, no, there hasn't been something that I've had to compromise on, because we've always seemed to find a way to work together. Up there in Alaska, what we have done is, with bipartisan efforts, is work together and, again, not caring who gets the credit for what, as we accomplish things up there.

And that's been just a part of the operation that I wanted to participate in. And that's what we're going to do in Washington, D.C., also, bring in both sides together. John McCain is known for doing that, also, in order to get the work done for the American people.

Huh?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/02/ ... index.html
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:11 am

I didn't actually watch the thing last night (like Cheney and Vietnam, I had other priorities). But based on the clips I've heard and seen:

Palin didn't do well enough to reverse the damage from her abysmal press interviews, but she did well enough to stop the bleeding. As Talking Points Memo notes, the lack of follow-up questions helped her immensely since her weakness is when she's pressed for specifics. Her answers were vacuous but she wasn't transparently grasping at straws.

Biden did fine and didn't provide any newsworthy gaffes, which is the best his side could hope for.

(As an aside, if anything, Palin is even more annoying to listen to than Bush.)

Bottom line: I don't think this changed anything one way or another. If Palin melted down it would have damaged the McCain ticket further but she didn't. So I think we're status quo.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney