Copyright extension

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Xenu
Sellout

Copyright extension

Postby Xenu » Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:37 am

Given as I'm flagellating vigorously over at the other forum on this exact topic, I was wondering what the general consensus was here over the current state of copyright protection and promised extensions thereof.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:27 am

Since it is about money, then I would expect them to keep extending for as long as the goose is laying those golden eggs. Disney got the rules changed in their favor. Once that happened I knew the score.

I think that CD and DVD burners as well as 600dpi scanners and their use on the internet leveled the playing field.

It seems that the writing was on the wall anyway.

I like all that music as much as the next guy. I bought everything I could in my teens, twenties, and thirties. I maxed out my credit line by the time I was 29. I'm still pulling out shit I never got around to really listening to. I got my debt down to a reasonable $4,500 and then paid it off completely.

Ok, with that out of the way, I can say that I may never buy much music at traditional prices again. Two used (but minty) vinyl items, and a 100 spindle of Taiyo Yuden white ink jet printables with free shipping http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... -wrap.html is my idea of a night of music in. Add a large stack of Swingin Pig, Yellow Dog and Vigitone deluxe editions, borrowed MFSL and DCCs, a few box sets, and that is what my copy rights are about. The cat done got out of the bag, and then my dog ate the dang bag.

And my idea of a night out of music is a rather passionate live set at some legendary theater or club in LA with free parking, reasonable ticket prices, and first or second row seats or standing if need be. Oh, and a six'r of Bass on ice before going in, n' my friends and I are happy.

But the whole thing about bands and Lear Jets, 11 million units sold, 70,000 tickets at stadiums, and everlasting evergreen back catalogs is all fucking over now. Even the kids know it and they ain't going for it either.

So let them extend to their hearts desire those copyrights. I'll extend my rights too baby.