Thompson: Saddam was poised to become nuke king

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Thompson: Saddam was poised to become nuke king

Postby Rspaight » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:14 am

Thompson: Saddam Hussein 'clearly' had WMD

NEWTON, Iowa (CNN) – Former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson blamed inadequate intelligence for not sending a larger U.S. invasion force into Iraq, but said he supported the decision to overthrow Saddam Hussein.

"Clearly we did not go in with enough people, with the right strategy," Thompson told reporters after a campaign event in this rural city in central Iowa. "We did not foresee what was happening there. Part of that has to do with the fact that our intelligence capabilities were not what they should have been."

Thompson said it was imperative to remove Hussein from power.

"Saddam Hussein, today, had we not gone in, would be sitting on this powder keg and be in control of the whole thing," Thompson predicted. "He would have been the new dictator of that entire region in my estimation. He is–was–a dangerous irrational man who, by this time, would have been well on his way to having the nuclear capability himself."

In remarks delivered earlier in a café, Thompson said Hussein "clearly" had weapons of mass destruction prior to the beginning of the war.

"We can't forget the fact that although at a particular point in time we never found any WMD down there, he clearly had had WMD," Thompson said. "He clearly had had the beginnings of a nuclear program, and in my estimation his intent never did change."

"By today," Thompson continued, "[Hussein] clearly would have had that rejuvenated; especially looking at what Iran says that it's doing."

Today's event marks the first of a three-day swing through the Hawkeye State for the GOP presidential candidate.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Thompson: Saddam was poised to become nuke king

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:25 am

"We can't forget the fact that although at a particular point in time we never found any WMD down there, he clearly had had WMD," Thompson said. "He clearly had had the beginnings of a nuclear program, and in my estimation his intent never did change."

Hepped up on goofballs?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:53 am

Red meat for the base.

Notice how he brings up Iran at the end there. This is the revisionist history of how the invasion of Iraq was a Good Idea, and Saddam really was this big WMD-brandishing monster, so that won't be a reason not to invade Iran.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:56 am

Thompson is scary because he has a much better shot at winning than the other unapologetic warheads McCain and Giuliani.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:02 am

There's a great article in the current Rolling Stone on Thompson.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/st ... eve_reagan

Ryan