Bush phones it in (again)

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Bush phones it in (again)

Postby Rspaight » Thu May 17, 2007 2:50 pm

I do realize that "press conferences" are simply an opportunity for the President to ignore actual questions and instead spew talking points, but even by those dismal standards this is simply breathtaking in its contempt for any sort of accountability whatsoever:

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/05/17/bush-comey-dodge/

Q: There’s been some very dramatic testimony before the Senate this week from one of your former top Justice Department officials who describes a scene that some Senators called stunning, about a time when the warrantless wiretap program was being reviewed. Sir, did you send your then chief of staff and White House counsel to the bedside of John Ashcroft while he was ill to get him to approve that program, and do you believe that kind of conduct from White House officials is appropriate?

BUSH: Kelly, there’s a lot of speculation about what happened and what didn’t happen. I’m not going to talk about it. It’s a very sensitive program. I will tell you that one, the program was necessary to protect the American people and it’s still necessary, because there’s still an enemy that wants to do us harm, and therefore I have an obligation to put in place programs that honor the civil liberties of the American people — a program that was, in this case, constantly reviewed, and briefed to the United States Congress. And the program, as I say, is an essential part of protecting this country, and so there will be all kinds of talk about it. As i say, I’m not going to move the issue forward by talking about something as highly classified subject. I will tell you, however, that the program was necessary.

Q: Was it on your order, sir?

BUSH: As I said, the program is a necessary program that was constantly reviewed and constantly briefed to the Congress. It’s an important part of protecting the United States, and it’s still an important part of our protection, because there’s still an enemy that would like to attack us, no matter how calm it may seem in America, an enemy lurks and they would like to strike. They would like to do harm to the American people, because they have an agenda. They want to impose an ideology. They want us to retreat from the world. They want to find safe haven, and these just aren’t empty words. These are the words of al Qaeda themselves, and so we will put in place programs to protect the American people that honor the civil liberties of our people and programs that we constantly brief to Congress.

Translation:

Q: Did you send Gonzales and Card to the hospital to try to get Ashcroft to sign off on the warrantless wiretaps?

A: I refuse to answer that question because TERRORTERRORTERROR.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 pm

There are denials that deny, and denials that confirm. This...this is deeply within the latter category.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri May 18, 2007 7:40 am

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 18, 2007 7:49 am

Yep. That's the press conference equivalent of taking the Fifth.

It's also kind of amusing that the "we briefed Congress" talking point is still firmly lodged in his head, even though the scandal has since gone far beyond that.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat May 19, 2007 12:16 am

I have to wonder whether this'll blow up into something bigger. The Comey story itself took a worrying number of hours to propogate to mainstream news concerns (although its Daily Show appearance gives me hope).

-D
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911