Rumsfeld: We're right, you're wrong, blame the media

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Rumsfeld: We're right, you're wrong, blame the media

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:10 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/29/ ... index.html

Rumsfeld: Bush foes lack courage on terror

POSTED: 2:00 p.m. EDT, August 29, 2006

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (AP) -- Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld on Tuesday accused critics of the Bush administration's Iraq and counterterrorism policies of lacking the courage to fight terror.

In unusually explicit terms, Rumsfeld portrayed the administration's critics as suffering from "moral and intellectual confusion" about what threatens the nation's security.

Addressing several thousand veterans at the American Legion's national convention, Rumsfeld recited what he called the lessons of history, including the failed efforts to appease the Adolf Hitler regime in the 1930s.

"I recount this history because once again we face the same kind of challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism" he said.

Rumsfeld spoke to an American Legion convention as part of a coordinated White House strategy, in advance of the fifth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on U.S. soil, aiming to take the offensive against administration critics at a time of doubt about the future of Iraq and how long U.S. troops must remain there.

Rumsfeld recalled a string of recent terrorist attacks, from the 9/11 attacks to bombings in Bali, London and Madrid, and said it should be obvious to anyone that terrorists must be confronted, not appeased.

"But it is apparent that many have still not learned history's lessons," he said, adding that part of the problem is that the American news media have tended to emphasize the negative rather than the positive.

He said, for example, that more media attention was given to U.S. soldiers' abuse of Iraqi prisoners at Abu Ghraib than to the fact that Sgt. 1st Class Paul Ray Smith received the Medal of Honor.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:22 pm

Maybe they should spend more time FIXING the problem instead of dodging responsibility for fucking things up.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Jeff

Re: Rumsfeld: We're right, you're wrong, blame the media

Postby Jeff » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:30 pm

lukpac wrote:"I recount this history because once again we face the same kind of challenges in efforts to confront the rising threat of a new type of fascism" he said.

Oh, the irony.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:19 am

Yeah, handing over Iraq to Iran was a GREAT way to combat Islamofascicommunhitlerevil, guys. Kudos.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Re: Rumsfeld: We're right, you're wrong, blame the media

Postby Patrick M » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:35 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:55 am

That was great.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:50 pm

You think that because you are terrorist loving, America hating commie.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:15 pm

Mmmmmm, French fries.

Ryan