Breaking News: Bush Reads Book

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Bennett Cerf

Breaking News: Bush Reads Book

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:24 pm

Bush reads Camus's 'The Stranger' on ranch vacation

US President George W. Bush quoted French existential writer Albert Camus to European leaders a year and a half ago, and now he's read one of his most famous works: "The Stranger."

White House spokesman Tony Snow said Friday that Bush, here on his Texas ranch enjoying a 10-day vacation from Washington, had made quick work of the Algerian-born writer's 1946 novel -- in English.

The US president, often spoofed as an intellectual lightweight, quoted Camus in a February 21, 2005 speech in Brussels praising the US-Europe alliance and urging other nations to help Washington spread democracy in the world.

"We know there are many obstacles, and we know the road is long. Albert Camus said that 'freedom is a long-distance race.' We're in that race for the duration," Bush said in those remarks.

I have no idea why this article portrays this as a major accomplishment. "The Stranger" is a fast, easy read!

That said, I don't believe he actually read it. Last week the White House identified three books that Bush was supposedly going to read during his 10-day vacation, and "The Stranger" wasn't one of them.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:24 am

'The Stranger' was on my high school's freshman year reading list.
I think GWB should check out "The Pigman" next.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:24 am

Did he ever finish My Pet Goat?
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:57 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.