Fun with flag burning!

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Fun with flag burning!

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:55 pm

http://www.cfa-inc.org/?section=about&s ... =about_faq

Q: Why protect the flag?
A: Our flag, which predates our Constitution, says "America," more than any other symbol does. America is a tapestry of diverse people, and the flag represents the values, traditions and aspirations that bind us together as a nation. It stands above the fray of day-to-day politics and petty differences of opinion. It unites us in times of national crisis, and the vast majority of the American people want it protected from acts of intentional, public desecration.

Q: Shouldn't I be allowed to burn the flag as part of my right to free speech?
A: That's not speech; that's despicable conduct, and the American people know the difference, even if the Supreme Court doesn't. More and more, the interpretation of our Constitution reflects the mindset of lawyers rather than the good, common sense of the American people. The Constitution belongs to the people and this campaign is about reclaiming it.

Q: What does it hurt to burn the flag?
A: Flag desecration is an action that most people find highly offensive and abusive. America will survive with or without a flag-protection amendment. However, the vast majority of Americans believe that society's interest in protecting the flag substantially outweighs an individual's interest in desecrating it.

Q: I think we have enough government interference in our lives. Won't this amendment just give the government even more power?
A: Let's get the facts straight. In 1989, the U.S. Government took away the people's right to protect their flag from physical desecration, a right they had for more than 100 years. This campaign is about getting that right back. The government isn't working to obtain this constitutional amendment; it is the people who are working to have that freedom restored to them.

Q: But nobody is burning flags, why bother outlawing the practice?
A: Flag burning has never been widespread in our society, but when it did occur it was generally punishable. And that's the position of most Americans: if you are going to desecrate our flag, you shouldn't be able to do it with impunity. The Supreme Court's 5-to-4 decision was divided into two basic camps. The court's majority camp said: "If you hate flag burning, combat it by waving your own flag proudly." The court's minority camp said: "It's society's responsibility to legislate against conduct that is evil and profoundly offensive such as flag burning." The Citizens Flag Alliance agrees with the minority on the court. At this point, however, it really makes no difference what either side said. The decision is the law of the land and the people are now exercising their constitutional right to change the law.

Q: What other countries have laws against flag desecration?
A: That really isn't relevant because the United States is unlike any other country in the world. We are a nation born of diversity. We are not defined by our borders and we are not all alike. We come from many backgrounds and religions and races and political ideologies. And we debate our differences vigorously. Yet, despite our differences, the flag reminds us that what makes us Americans is that we all subscribe to a common credo based on equal justice, opportunity and freedom. Our flag represents all of the things that bind us together as a nation. It is the most readily recognizable symbol of what America stands for and, as such, American citizens believe that it should be protected from physical desecration in the name of civility, if nothing else.

Q: If you want to protect the flag, would you say it's okay to burn a copy of the Constitution?
A: While there are people who would object to you burning the Constitution or the Bible or numerous other symbols and artifacts in our society, this campaign is about the flag. It's about the flag because there is, simply, nothing else like the flag in our society. You can't draw apt analogies to flag burning because there is no other act that arouses the same sense of outrage. The government belongs to the people and was created by the people and for the people. If the people wish to make new laws or change old ones, they have that right if they follow the procedure outlined in their Constitution.

Q: Don't we have a duty in society to protect the speech that we hate?
A: We have no problem with that. What we have a problem with is the physical act of desecrating the flag. Say whatever you will, but don't defile the flag of our nation.

http://www.cfa-inc.org/?section=issues& ... ues_acts06

Flag Desecration Acts 2006
June 23, 2006> Brooklyn, NY: Hooligans set American flags on fire in the fron yards of seven homes on a patriotic stretch of Brooklyn, including that of a family who tragically lost their firefighter son on September 11. Vandals struck at around 4:00 a.m., setting Old Glory on fire in front of homes in Marine Park. “I’m hoping it’s just kids doing this. Regardless, they should be prosecuted,” one victim said. New York Post

June 2, 2006 West Haven, CT: What should have been a peaceful stroll along the shorefront bike path turned into an ugly scene late Wednesday as an allegedly drunken man desecrated the U.S. flag, hurled a racial slur at a witness and then chugged a beer in front of police, authorities said Thursday. Marissa Yaremich, Register Staff - West Haven, CT

May 30, 2006 Mineville, NY
Vandals crept in sometime Sunday night or early Monday morning, removed the American flag from the flagpole at the Mineville Post 5802 VFW and burned it.

"We usually put the flag out on Monday morning but since we are all getting older, I told the guys to put it out on Sunday night," said Post Commander Pete Rotella. "When Jack Waldron got here this morning, the flag pole was broke off at the ground and the flag was lying on the ground and it was burned."

State Police were notified and a trooper from the Westport station investigated the incident and took the evidence with him to be tested.

During an award ceremony and VFW dinner, Moriah Town Supervisor Tom Scozzafava addressed the crowd saying, "The burning of the flag is just disgusting. I cannot believe someone would do such a disgraceful thing, especially on Memorial Day."

Rotella said the burned flag is the latest in a long history of vandalism at the VFW. Previous incidents include a POW/MIA flag being stolen and also an American flag being turned upside down.

"I hope they find the person or people who did this," Rotella said. "This is a disgrace."

State police are continuing the investigation.

By: Bethany Kosmider - Contributing Writer

May 13, 2006 Raymond, NH - Ten flags hanging at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 4479 and American Legion Post 90 building on Main Street were vandalized. “At first I thought the American flag was at half-staff, but when I got closer I could see every flag is sliced into ribbons,” a witness said. The Raymond Police Chief said the flags were slashed at the bottom edges about a foot and a half deep. The American flag was hanging upside down. The police have not made any arrests; there is a reward for tips that lead to the vandals’ arrest. 5/13/06 seacoastonline.com
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:06 pm

In the Senate, Covering Themselves in Old Glory

And the pro-amendment crowd is armed with powerful constitutional arguments. "Ever since the Boy Scouts first taught me how to care for our flag over 40 years ago, it has always held a special place in my heart," Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) said in a press release yesterday.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:22 pm

And here's the first person to be prosecuted under the flag desecration law:

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

MK

Postby MK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:26 pm

My neighbor's SUV still has the same flags he put up on five years ago, all tattered and dirty from wear and tear. Can I prosecute him for flag desecration?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:00 pm

I don't believe in flag burning. I prefer to shit on it.

MK

Postby MK » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:53 pm

Last edited by MK on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:54 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:04 am

I thought this thread is about burning CDRs with pre-emphasis flags...

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:10 pm

the 801

Postby the 801 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:53 pm

The Firesign Theatre has an interesting quiz & a challenging game for all to enjoy:

Don't Torch That Flag, Hand Me The Lighter

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:07 pm

the 801 wrote:The Firesign Theatre has an interesting quiz & a challenging game for all to enjoy:

Don't Torch That Flag, Hand Me The Lighter

I almost pissed my pants with the marching band thing at the end.