al-Zarqawi dead. Good, right?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

al-Zarqawi dead. Good, right?

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:01 am

Wonder how the right will try and spin this one.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2006/06/08.html#a8635

Berg: Zarqawi is also a political figure and his death will reignite yet another wave of revenge-revenge is something I do not follow. I do not ask for against anybody and it's an endless cycle as long as people use violence to combat violence-ahh we will always have violence.

Soledad: I have to say sir I'm surprised, I know how devastated you were-your family was frankly when Nick was killed in such a horrible and brutal---

Berg: Well you shouldn't be surprised because I have never said anything but forgiveness and peace...

Berg: No Good in Al-Zarqawi's Death

Father of man believed to be beheaded by al-Zarqawi sees no good in terrorist leader's death

DOVER, Del., Jun. 8, 2006
By RANDALL CHASE Associated Press Writer

(AP) The father of Nicholas Berg, a U.S. contractor believed to have been beheaded by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in Iraq, said Thursday that he doesn't see any good coming from al-Zarqawi's death.

"I see more death coming out of al-Zarqawi's death," Michael Berg told The Associated Press after learning a U.S. air strike had killed the leader of al-Qaida in Iraq.

Al-Zarqawi is believed to have beheaded two American civilians in 2004: Nicholas Berg, a 26-year-old businessman from West Chester, Pa., and Eugene Armstrong, a 52-year-old contractor from Hillsdale, Mich. Jack Hensley, a 48-year-old engineer from Marietta, Ga., was abducted at the same time as Armstrong and also killed.

Armstrong's family didn't want to discuss al-Zarqawi Thursday morning.

"An evil man is dead, and what more can you say?" said family spokeswoman Cyndi Armstrong, the wife of the slain contractor's cousin.

Nicholas Berg's father, a pacifist who is running for Delaware's U.S. House seat on the Green Party ticket, said al-Zarqawi's death is likely to foster anti-American resentment among al-Qaida members who feel they have nothing left to lose.

He dismissed the notion that al-Zarqawi's death might bring him closure.

"First of all, I'm not even certain that al-Zarqawi even killed my son," said Michael Berg, who doesn't believe the videotape of his son's execution or what he's been told by the FBI any more than he believes conspiracy theories suggesting his son was killed by the U.S. government.

"I think the news of the loss of any human being is a tragedy. I think al-Zarqawi's death is a double tragedy," he said. "His death will incite a new wave of revenge. George Bush and al-Zarqawi are two men who believe in revenge."

Berg said that while al-Zarqawi may have killed a couple of hundred people, Bush is responsible for 150,000 deaths.

Al-Zarqawi was killed by a U.S. airstrike in a remote area 30 miles northeast of Baghdad. Al-Qaida in Iraq confirmed his death and vowed to continue its "holy war," according to a statement posted on a Web site. The group has taken responsibility for numerous attacks on U.S. and Iraqi targets in the past few years.

"I think in this case justice has finally been served," said the Rev. Jerry Gladson, who had been Hensley's pastor at First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) of Marietta.

President Bush, speaking outside the White House Thursday morning, said al-Zarqawi's death was "a severe blow" to al-Qaida but the war on terror would continue.

"We have tough days ahead of us in Iraq that will require the continued patience of the American people," he said.

___

Associated Press writers David N. Goodman in Detroit and Don Schanche in Atlanta contributed to this report.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:33 am

Berg is clearly part of the "blame America first" crowd, and is out to get famous and make money off his son's death.

Anyway...

I don't know about this whole "justice served" business, but at least in the context of bringing stability to the mess we've created, getting rid of Zarqawi seems like a positive step, at the very least as a psyops victory.

Of course, the real joke in all this is that the media and administration are gleefully dragging Zarqawi's corpse through the streets today, but when we had the chance to kill him before the war even started, we didn't because Bush didn't want to undercut the case for going to war.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4431601/

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:52 pm

Whats's up with the "Crooks and liars" site? Seems kind of biased.

At any rate, Zarqawi was a demented man who possibly decapitated innocent people and certainly had a history of causing problems. His death certainly wont stop the insurgence, and may inspire more attacks initially, but at least he won't be murdering anymore. Honestly, I don't see a point in making a big deal out of his death.

That's disturbing about the failure to get Zarqawi before the war. The Bush administration should have known better. Speaking of learning from missed opportunities, remember Bin Laden?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4540958/
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Jun 11, 2006 6:51 pm

Crooks and Liars is tremendously one-sided, and frequently of questionable scholarship. That said, it has rockin' video clips, which is pretty much its only reason to exist.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:33 pm

? wrote:After the 1993 World Trade Centre bombing, which killed six and injured 1,000, President Clinton promised that those responsible would be hunted down and punished.

After the 1995 bombing in Saudi Arabia, which killed five US military personnel, President Clinton promised that those responsible would be hunted down and punished.

After the 1996 al-Khobar towers bombing in Saudi Arabia, which killed 19 and injured 200 US military personnel, President Clinton promised that those responsible would be hunted down and punished.

After the 1998 bombing of US embassies in Africa, which killed 257 and injured 5,000, President Clinton promised that those responsible would be hunted down and punished.

After the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole, which killed 17 and injured three US sailors, President Clinton promised that those responsible would be hunted down and punished.

Maybe if Mr Clinton had kept his promise, an estimated 7,000 more people would be alive today.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.