Protests at military funerals

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Xenu
Sellout

Protests at military funerals

Postby Xenu » Mon May 29, 2006 11:34 am

http://www.knx1070.com/pages/40689.php
WASHINGTON, DC (KNX) -- President Bush has signed into law a bill that prevents demonstrators from disrupting military funerals. The measure is aimed squarely at the Reverend Fred Phelps, an ultra-conservative clergyman from Kansas who has been picketing the funerals of Iraqi war dead, claiming that God hates the U.S. for its tolerance of homosexuality. Phelps has also made news for protesting the funerals of AIDS victims. He also demonstrated at the funeral of slain gay man Matthew Shepherd, claiming that Shepherd deserved what he got and displaying signs reading "God hates fags."

The new law bars protests within 300 feet of the entrance of a national cemetery and within 150 feet of a road into the cemetery. This restriction applies an hour before until an hour after a funeral. Those violating the act would face up to a $100,000 fine and up to a year in prison.

Phelps and his followers showed up today to protest Memorial Day observances at Arlington National Cemetery. They were met by placard-carrying demonstrators who were showing their support for American troops.

Shortly after the new legislation passed the House, Phelps charged that Congress was "blatantly violating" his First Amendment rights. He said that if became law, he would continue to demonstrate but would abide by the law's restrictions.

As nice as this sounds...I'm not sure how I feel about it. $100,000 and a year in prison for a protest?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue May 30, 2006 8:31 am

I find it interesting that Phelps has been making an ass of himself at the funerals of AIDS victims for many, many years now without a peep from Congress or various residents of the White House. But once he started bothering people at military funerals... Hey! We need a law!

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney