Top 50 Conservative Rock Songs

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:05 pm

Part of the problem here is that the definition of "conservative" is so broad as to be almost meaningless. Any expression of nostalgia for the past is "conservative" (Jonathan Richman, Bob Seger)? Any favorable opinion of Christianity is "conservative" (Jesus is Just All Right)? Any expression of patriotism is "conservative" (Let's Roll)? Any favorable comment about the USA is "conservative"? Any negative comment about pre-Giuliani New York is "conservative" (Shattered)? That is just silly. Though I guess it does illustrate how effectively Republicans have managed to co-opt totally non-political values and ideas and falsely associate them with their party.

Simply pointing out that Turn Turn Turn is not inherently anti-war doesn't somehow make it a conservative song. But my favorite is Little Red Corvette. Prince happily engages in premarital sex with the woman in the song, but since he also chides her for being a slut he's expressing conservative social values. Heh heh. "Girl u got an ass like I never seen." They'll be playing that at the Republican National Convention in a couple years, I bet.

MK

Postby MK » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:12 am

No kidding, the criteria is so muddled, and most of the songs contradict the reason given for their 'conservatism.' Too bad Johnny Ramone's dead, he'd make a MUCH better list.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:59 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:I think this tells us all we need to know about this guy's music critic credentials.

That, and the fact that like one-third of his choices are by Rush.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

Bennett Cerf

Re: Top 50 Conservative Rock Songs

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri May 29, 2009 4:13 pm

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:51 pm

Bumping this. At this point I can only assume the whole thing was just well done satire accidentally published by NR. Especially since this didn't make either list:

Dawn of Correction
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:44 pm

That's not conservative. It praises the United Nations.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:43 pm

What, no Red Dawn?!???!?!!?!?!

I think the author of that list is confused about the distinction between "conservative" and "British." Oh, and the distinction between "conservative film" and "The Killing Fields"/"The Deer Hunter"/whatever else he's wrong about.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney