Pat cites pills in car wreck

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Fri May 05, 2006 7:46 pm

What a shocker! He's above the law like just like his sorry father.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio ... ormat=text

WASHINGTON -U.S. Rep. Patrick Kennedy insisted yesterday that he had consumed “no alcohol” before he slammed his Mustang convertible into a concrete barrier near his office, but a hostess at a popular Capitol Hill watering hole told the Herald she saw him drinking in the hours before the crash.

"He was drinking a little bit,” said the woman, who works at the Hawk & Dove and would not give her name. Leaving his office late last night, Kennedy refused to say whether he’d been to the Hawk & Dove the night before.

Earlier in the evening, Kennedy issued a statement through his office blaming the accident and strange behavior surrounding it on prescription drugs. He said he returned to his Capitol Hill home on Wednesday evening after House votes and took “prescribed” amounts of Phenergan and Ambien. Phenergan is for gastroenteritis, he said. Ambien is a popular sleep medication.

"Sometime around 2:45 a.m., I drove the few blocks to the Capitol Complex believing I needed to vote,” his second statement said. “Apparently, I was disoriented from the medication.”

Questions arose surrounding the wreck amid police reports that Kennedy was “staggering” and appeared intoxicated after nearly hitting a Capitol Police cruiser and then striking the barrier.

The incident became public when the union representing Capitol Police alleged in a publicly released letter that superior officers prevented rank-and-file cops from properly investigating the crash.

The letter from the cops union said police spotted Kennedy’s Mustang swerving with its lights off. The car narrowly missed a cruiser before slamming into a security barricade, according to the letter written by officer Chris Baird, chairman of the department’s union.

The driver exited the vehicle and he was observed to be staggering, Baird’s letter states. The letter also said that Kennedy claimed he was“late to a vote.” The last House vote was taken nearly six hours earlier.

Patrolmen’s union president Lou Cannon told the Associated Press that officers were fuming that police brass intervened and blocked attempts to give Kennedy sobriety tests. “The officers just want to be able to do their jobs,” Cannon said.

Leaving his Capitol Hill office last night, Kennedy told reporters: “I asked for no special treatment.”

After Kennedy responded to the swelling scandal with his first letter, a Herald reporter visisted bars where Kennedy is known to socialize.

A bartender at the Tune Inn, which is next to the Hawk & Dove, also said Kennedy was spotted in the Hawk & Dove Wednesday.

Hawk & Dove manager Edgar Gutierrez said Kennedy is a regular in the bar. Gutierrez said he was working Wednesday night but did not see the congressman.

Kennedy, who has battled booze and drug problems in the past, said in his first statement: “I will fully cooperate with the Capitol Police in whatever investigation they choose to undertake.”

Despite the wreck, Kennedy took part in normal business at the Capitol yesterday and appeared unshaken by the incident as he chatted with other members. But one Rhode Island political insider said there has been talk of Kennedy’s bizarre behavior of late.

“He has looked terrible lately,” the source said. “He’s been acting goofy, kind of zany.”

In addition to seeking substance abuse treatment as a teen, Kennedy has acknowledged being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.

A spokeswoman for Kennedy’s father, U.S. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, said the senior Massachusetts senator would have no comment on the matter.
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri May 05, 2006 7:52 pm

High Court May Replace Miranda with Kennedy Rights

By Scott Ott, Editor-in-Chief, ScrappleFace.com
News Fairly Unbalanced. We Report. You Decipher.

(2006-05-05) — The 1966 Supreme Court Miranda ruling could face its toughest challenge to date during the fall court session when Justices will consider revising the famous “you have the right to remain silent” litany with a new set of statements known as the “Kennedy Warnings.”

The case springs from an incident this week in which Capitol Hill police allegedly were prevented by their superiors from administering a field sobriety test to Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-RI, son of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-MA, when the younger Kennedy staggered from his car after narrowly avoiding collision with a police cruiser and crashing into a barricade.

Rep. Kennedy said he had not been drinking alcohol, but was impaired by prescription medications which made him think he had to rush to Congress for a 2:45 a.m. vote.

Police did not run a breathalyzer test, did not arrest the Congressman, and simply gave him a ride home.

An attorney for the American Drunkards Association (ADA) hailed the case as “great leap forward in providing real justice to a people who have faced years of discrimination at the hands of police just because of who they are.”

When the Supreme Court convenes in October, it will consider rewriting the Miranda Warnings to conform to the more progressive treatment Rep. Kennedy received.

The following is a draft excerpt of the new Kennedy Rights:

1. You have the right to remain silent and refuse to answer questions. Do you understand? If so, stagger randomly.
2. Anything you do say will be ignored and quickly forgotten, because you’re not yourself right now. Do you understand? If so, let your chin drop suddenly to your chest?
3. You have the right to consult a public relations firm before speaking to the police, and to have your PR spokesman present during questioning now or in the future. Do you understand? If so, say: ‘My umbersmand.’
4. If you cannot afford a public relations firm, one will be appointed for you before any questioning if you wish. Do you understand? If so, allow your eyeballs to roll back in their sockets.
5. Knowing and understanding your rights as I have explained them to you, are you willing to answer my questions without a public relations expert present? If you say ‘Yes’ or ‘No’, or make any sound at all, or say nothing, we will respect your right to remain silent and we’ll give you a ride home.

Article printed from ScrappleFace: http://www.scrappleface.com

URL to article: http://www.scrappleface.com/?p=2252

URLs in this post:
incident: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/05/04/ ... index.html
prevented: http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercuryn ... 506626.htm
staggered: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 01430.html
medications: http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegio ... eid=137995
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Pat cites pills in car wreck

Postby lukpac » Fri May 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Matt wrote:What a shocker! He's above the law like just like his sorry father.

How's it his fault that the cops were told to drive him home?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 05, 2006 8:56 pm

Maybe Rush Limbaugh will have Kennedy on his show and they can compare notes.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Matt

Re: Pat cites pills in car wreck

Postby Matt » Fri May 05, 2006 8:56 pm

lukpac wrote:How's it his fault that the cops were told to drive him home?

He received special treatment because of who he is, and that's not right. Authorities gave him a free pass.

In a similar situation, do you think you or I would have got a free ride home, or could skip the breathalyzer test without repercussions?
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri May 05, 2006 8:57 pm

Rspaight wrote:Maybe Rush Limbaugh will have Kennedy on his show and they can compare notes.

Ryan

Yes, sadly I have no mug shot of Kennedy to share, since he got away with it, unlike Limbaugh.
-Matt

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri May 05, 2006 9:01 pm

Yes, sadly I have no mug shot of Kennedy to share. Since he got away with it, unlike Limbaugh.

That's funny. Limbaugh claims he wasn't arrested and that all charges were (or will be) dismissed. How is that not "getting away with it?"

Reports Stating Rush Limbaugh Was Arrested Are Inaccurate; Limbaugh's Attorney Holds Press Conference at 8:00 pm Tonight
Friday April 28, 7:55 pm ET

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., April 28 /PRNewswire/ -- A spokesman for Rush Limbaugh said some news reports that state Mr. Limbaugh was arrested are inaccurate.
Separately, Rush Limbaugh's attorney, Roy Black will hold a press conference at 8:00 pm this evening at the Marriott Hotel at 1001 Okeechobbee Road in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Mr. Black will discuss the agreement reached today with the State Attorney's Office whereby a single count charge of doctor shopping that was filed today by the State Attorney will be dismissed in 18 months.

As previously announced, a primary condition of the dismissal, Mr. Limbaugh must continue to seek treatment from the doctor he has seen for the past two and one half years. This is the same doctor under whose care Mr. Limbaugh has remained free of his addiction without relapse.

Mr. Black stated, "Mr. Limbaugh and I have maintained from the start that there was no doctor shopping, and we continue to hold this position. Accordingly, we filed today with the Court a plea of 'Not Guilty' to the charge filed by the State.

"As part of this agreement, Mr. Limbaugh also has agreed to make a $30,000 payment to the State of Florida to defray the public cost of the investigation. The agreement also provides that he must refrain from violating the law during the 18 month period, must pay $30 per month for the cost of "supervision" and comply with other similar provisions of the agreement.

"Mr. Limbaugh had intended to remain in treatment. Thus, we believe the outcome for him personally will be much as if he had fought the charge and won," he said.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Matt

Postby Matt » Fri May 05, 2006 9:12 pm

Rspaight wrote:
Yes, sadly I have no mug shot of Kennedy to share. Since he got away with it, unlike Limbaugh.

That's funny. Limbaugh claims he wasn't arrested and that all charges were (or will be) dismissed. How is that not "getting away with it?"

Reports Stating Rush Limbaugh Was Arrested Are Inaccurate; Limbaugh's Attorney Holds Press Conference at 8:00 pm Tonight
Friday April 28, 7:55 pm ET

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla., April 28 /PRNewswire/ -- A spokesman for Rush Limbaugh said some news reports that state Mr. Limbaugh was arrested are inaccurate.
Separately, Rush Limbaugh's attorney, Roy Black will hold a press conference at 8:00 pm this evening at the Marriott Hotel at 1001 Okeechobbee Road in West Palm Beach, Florida.

Mr. Black will discuss the agreement reached today with the State Attorney's Office whereby a single count charge of doctor shopping that was filed today by the State Attorney will be dismissed in 18 months.

As previously announced, a primary condition of the dismissal, Mr. Limbaugh must continue to seek treatment from the doctor he has seen for the past two and one half years. This is the same doctor under whose care Mr. Limbaugh has remained free of his addiction without relapse.

Mr. Black stated, "Mr. Limbaugh and I have maintained from the start that there was no doctor shopping, and we continue to hold this position. Accordingly, we filed today with the Court a plea of 'Not Guilty' to the charge filed by the State.

"As part of this agreement, Mr. Limbaugh also has agreed to make a $30,000 payment to the State of Florida to defray the public cost of the investigation. The agreement also provides that he must refrain from violating the law during the 18 month period, must pay $30 per month for the cost of "supervision" and comply with other similar provisions of the agreement.

"Mr. Limbaugh had intended to remain in treatment. Thus, we believe the outcome for him personally will be much as if he had fought the charge and won," he said.

Ryan

I wasn't aware of the false claims of being arrested. However, the fines and probation period are certainly concrete.

At this point, it doesn't sound like Kennedy will suffer and anything for his actions.
-Matt

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat May 06, 2006 12:48 am

Neither did Dick Cheney, and he SHOT someone, for jebus' sake.

He certainly wasn't treated like you or I would be, if we'd done the same.

But gee, the name 'Kennedy' sure does give the right wing a hard-on.

:roll:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat May 06, 2006 1:12 am

But gee, the name 'Kennedy' sure does give the right wing a hard-on.

More nauseas than anything.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 06, 2006 9:59 am

Matt wrote:More nauseas than anything.

Nauseas?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt

Postby Matt » Sat May 06, 2006 10:47 am

lukpac wrote:Nauseas?

Nauseous. Forgive me.
-Matt

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat May 06, 2006 11:03 am

Matt wrote:

I wasn't aware of the false claims of being arrested. However, the fines and probation period are certainly concrete.

No no no... What are these "fines" and "probation" of which you speak?

There is no "fine." There is only a payment "to defray the public cost of the investigation."

There is no "probation." There is only "supervision."

Ask Rush! It's all true!