Ann Coulter disproves evolution!

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Xenu
Sellout

Ann Coulter disproves evolution!

Postby Xenu » Tue May 02, 2006 9:32 pm

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2006 ... oulter.php

I can't wait. A new stream of weird promo appearances! New publicity stunts! New outrageous things said to get press!

She might've bitten off more than she can chew this time around, though. Aligning herself with the Dembskis of the world will turn off her few rationalist supporters, leaving online the frothers.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

MK

Postby MK » Wed May 03, 2006 10:41 am

50 years from now, people are going to look back and say, "Why the fuck did people read Coulter?" It's like living in the dark ages, for Christ's sake....What's next? How about the world's flat? The Earth's the physical center of the universe? Everything's created by the miracle of spontaneous generation? Surely anyone who disagrees is a blasphemous heathen!
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed May 03, 2006 10:51 am

Myers and other scientists are going to tear that shameless cow a new asshole. I can't wait.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 03, 2006 12:02 pm

Yeah.

The standard trope, I guess, is "why do you pay attention to Coulter? Why don't you just ignore her?" Well, for one, she's fabulously entertaining...hard to argue with that.

For another, though, it's that she's wrong. Slander didn't ignite a "firestorm" because it attacked liberals (although you'd get that sense from the positive reviews on amazon.com..."SHE HOW THEY REACT? SHE MUST'VE HIT A NERVE"). No, the shitstorm was largely about a) the incredibly simplistic logical methodology, and b) the sheer, and oftentimes demonstrable, incorrectitude of many of her assertions.

This book will piss off a whole new audience, but it likely won't be because of the overextended Church of the Godless metaphor..it'll be because of her reliance on Dembski, etc.

Ahh, yes.
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 03, 2006 12:09 pm

Well, for one, she's fabulously entertaining...hard to argue with that.

If you consider "making one want to kill oneself out of despair for the utter hopelessness and stupidity of the human race" to be "entertaining," then yeah.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed May 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Well, you are talking to the guy who owns the DVD of "Dianetics."

Entertaining in the sense that she shows up on news programs, says something outrageous, and ignites firestorms. Not entertaining in a "primary source" fashion.
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 03, 2006 2:33 pm

Oh, I know what you mean. Back in college, I was obsessed with two-bit jokers like Bob Tilton, as well as heavy hitters like my all-time favorite loony, Elizabeth Clare Prophet.

Mocking Cal Thomas was (and still is) a favorite pastime.

Heck, even Michelle Malkin is funny in a completely deranged, batshit-crazy fashion.

I can't even enjoy Coulter on that level, though. Reading or watching her is like stabbing myself in the eye with an ice pick.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney