quotes that rock

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
krabapple

quotes that rock

Postby krabapple » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:55 pm

This one's making the email rounds today --

On Wednesday, March 1st, 2006, in Annapolis at a hearing on the proposed
Constitutional Amendment to prohibit gay marriage, Jamie Raskin
<http://www.raskin06.com/> , professor of law at AU, was requested to
testify.

At the end of his testimony, Republican Senator Nancy Jacobs said:

"Mr. Raskin, my Bible says marriage is only between a man and a woman.
What do you have to say about that?"

Raskin replied: "Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed
your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did
not place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible.

The room erupted into applause
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:12 pm

"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:14 pm

Another account:

http://www.365gay.com/Newscon06/03/030206mdAmend.htm

Maryland Lawmakers Take Up New Anti-Gay Amendment
by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

March 2, 2006 - 11:00 am ET

(Annapolis, Maryland) A new GOP push for a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage turned into a heated exchange in the Senate Judicial Committee.

Last month Democrats outmaneuvered Republicans in the House to kill a proposed amendment that would have banned same-sex marriage and civil unions in the state.

Last week Republicans returned with a new version that would permit civil unions while banning gays from marrying.

Dozens people filled the gallery as the Senate Judicial Committee began considering the bill on Wednesday. The meeting reached a crescendo during testimony by James Raskin, a constitutional law professor from American University.

As Raskin laid out his reasons why the proposed amendment should be discarded Sen. Nancy Jacobs (R) interrupted him.

"As I read Biblical principles, marriage was intended, ordained and started by God - that is my belief," Jacobs declared. "For me, this is an issue solely based on religious principals."

Raskin retorted that the Bible was also used in attempts to justify bans on interracial marriage.

"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible," he said.

The issue of same-sex marriage is headed to the Court of Appeal. In January a Baltimore judge ruled that the state law banning same-sex unions is unconstitutional.

©365Gay.com 2006
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD