Exxon Valdez spill is still unresolved

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
MK

Exxon Valdez spill is still unresolved

Postby MK » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:28 pm

I think this petition/protest/etc. was sent out last night. Man, WTF? It's been 17 years...

Please join us today, Friday, March 24th, in commemorating the 17th anniversary of the Exxon Valdez oil spill by calling ExxonMobil to demand payment for the spill victims!

It will only take two minutes to call - just dial 1-972-444-1000. Click here for talking points you can use in your call!

Twelve years of legal appeals by a battalion of ExxonMobil lawyers has added salt to the wounds of the 30,000 fishermen, Native Alaskans and others who suffered not just health and financial losses but also witnessed the death and maiming of thousands of oil coated seabirds, bald eagles, sea otters, seals and orca whales.

Billions of salmon and herring eggs were destroyed and like many of the species, have yet to recover. Bob Van Brocklin, generational fisherman and then-mayor of the hard hit town of Cordova, took his own life after four years of watching the ecological and financial wreckage and going into bankruptcy himself.

Please join us in commemorating this environmental travesty on Friday March 24, 2006.

In 1994 a U.S. District Court held Exxon accountable for $5.3 billion in punitive damages for recklessness, an award that dropped only slightly to $4.5 billion after two fierce appeals. Meanwhile, 3,000 plaintiffs have died while waiting for compensation and ExxonMobil has become the nation’s most profitable company, raking in a record $36 billion in profits in 2005.

The courts, the media and the public are weary with ExxonMobil’s foot dragging tactics. Let YOUR call be the final straw that pushes the company to pay the debt it owes to the Alaskan communities devastated by the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto