Mallard Fillmore

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:22 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:Tinsley can't even pretend to care about the visual aspect of his strip, can he?

It's not really even a comic strip, is it? It's just a George Will column accompanied by two random drawings of a duck's head.

Seriously though, wouldn't it be cool if the Republicans did nominate Senator Coburn for president? The Democrats would have a hard time finding a candidate who could lose to that guy (although I suppose they could do it... maybe they'd respond by nominating Al Sharpton).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:Tinsley can't even pretend to care about the visual aspect of his strip, can he?

Or humor.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:25 am

czeskleba wrote:

It's not really even a comic strip, is it? It's just a George Will column accompanied by two random drawings of a duck's head.

Not even that. Will's been turning against Bush for the past year or so.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:29 pm

I haven't read enough Mallard Fillmore to discern Tinsley's attitude toward Bush. Does he ever criticize Bush? The fact that he's pimping for Senator Coburn, an old fashioned "cut taxes/cut spending" conservative suggests he should have problems with Bush's new style "cut taxes/spend like Hell" brand of conservativism. Or does Tinsley buy into the whole "loyal conservatives never criticize Bush" camp?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:58 pm

Prawn Tylor.

That's all I could come up with, and I tried for an absurdly long time. Anybody else wanna chip in?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:27 pm

I can't claim that Tinsley has never criticized Bush, but he certainly doesn't do it very often.

This is Tinsley's idea of hilarious Bush humor:

And this one has nothing to do with Bush, but it's fascinating nonetheless, not least because it has Mallard/Tinsley claiming to be a libertarian:

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:18 pm

Stop me now! My sides hurt! HAHAHA!
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:14 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:And this one has nothing to do with Bush, but it's fascinating nonetheless, not least because it has Mallard/Tinsley claiming to be a libertarian:

A "libertarian" with a woody for a morality nazi like Senator Coburn? It's like people don't even care what the political labels mean anymore, they just pick one they like and insist it's what they are. "I'm a conservative who has created the biggest deficit in US history." "I'm a libertarian who thinks abortion doctors should be killed."

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:19 am

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:42 am

It's a bit strange how things are set up almost exactly the same in successive days. Like the "cheeses off" thing.

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:35 pm

I like how he's responding to an "outraged letter from a reader" today. Typically comic strips are prepared weeks, if not months, in advance. I'm sure the whole batch of Coburn strips, including today's, were completed long before the first one actually saw publication last week. So unless his readers are psychic, the letter from a reader is a fabrication. There's nothing like creating phony protesters to make yourself look controversial. I notice he bases a lot of strips on supposed letters from readers... I wonder if any of them are real? I wonder if he has readers, aside from us?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:10 pm

What business does Ann Coulter have on a site called "Jewish World Review"?

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:17 am

And the hits keep coming:

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:09 pm

You know, there probably *is* a funny joke somewhere in that strip -- it's just that Tinsley is too tone-deaf to find it. It's exactly what czeskleba said: it's just conservative talking points accompanied by a slightly altered picture of Daffy Duck. He makes no effort to find a unique perspective or memorable twist, to actually make the stuff funny. It would be like a "liberal" comic strip featuring a walrus that just said, "You know, Bush really screwed up in Iraq! Isn't that something?"

It sort of reminds me of an old joke. A guy walks into a bar. There's a group of regulars in the corner laughing, so the guy goes to see what's up.

"Thirty-two!" one of the regulars says, and the rest chuckle appreciatively.

"Sixteen!" another says to loud guffaws.

"What's going on?" the new guy asks, confused.

"We've been coming to this bar for twenty years," says one of the regulars. "We've all told the same jokes so many times, we just started giving them numbers. It's quicker that way. Go on, try it."

The new guy hesitates as the regulars look at him expectantly. "Um... forty-seven?"

Everyone falls off their barstools, convulsing with hysterical laughter, clutching their sides, tears streaming down their faces. "Oh, man..." one says after recovering. "We'd never heard that one before."

That's Mallard Fillmore.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:11 pm

lukpac wrote:What business does Ann Coulter have on a site called "Jewish World Review"?

She's plotting to kill their leaders and convert the rest to Christianity.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney