Mallard Fillmore

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:39 pm

Uh...?

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Man, what a strip.

It begins surprisingly well with the Hillary Clinton gag, which is fairly clever and even manages to seem timely, with Hillary officially entering the race just yesterday. The caricature is awful, but there's only so much you can expect from Tinsley.

Then we get the lame Ted Kennedy panel, which is evidently a reference to a speech Kennedy gave in January 2005

And finally we get the salute to Milton Friedman, two months after his death. Admittedly, it's not as wildly outdated as the Ted Kennedy reference, but it's still peculiar timing. And it hardly seems fair for a prediction for 2007 to extend to eternity.

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:24 am

Today's sentence fragment:

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:45 am

Ooh! To be continued! I can't wait to see what happens next!

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:49 am

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:54 am

From 1999:

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:37 am

So much for Rex Morgan, M.D.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Is that the person's face? Or are they holding a burger (?!) in front of it?

Maybe it's one of those drawings you have to look at a particular way to get. I'll try crossing my eyes...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:38 pm

The color version seems to support the face theory.

Despite the suggestion in yesterday's strip that Tinsley's depictions of Asians prompt outrage, the reality is that Tinsley just doesn't know how to draw recognizably Asian characters.

These two are supposed to be Vietnamese:

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 pm

He was better off with the unrecognizable "Rex Morgan" that looked more like John Kerry.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:13 pm

Bennett Cerf wrote:The color version seems to support the face theory.

The hands and "facial features" all just kind of morph together. Maybe the person (child?) is supposed to be crying and is thus holding their head?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:41 pm

I'm going to call "burger." I think whoever colors in the daily strips was as flummoxed by Tinsley's drunken doodling as we are, and rendered the burger flesh-colored by mistake.

Still, the rotund young man seems to be eating the burger with his forehead. Puzzling.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:01 pm

Rspaight wrote:I'm going to call "burger." I think whoever colors in the daily strips was as flummoxed by Tinsley's drunken doodling as we are, and rendered the burger flesh-colored by mistake.

Still, the rotund young man seems to be eating the burger with his forehead. Puzzling.

If it's a burger, maybe it's so big it's covering his (her?) face. Maybe the lines by his fingers are supposed to be showing him pressing into the bun (that and the thing below being buns). And maybe the little triangle thing in the middle is a slice of cheese.

Or maybe this is just like one of those ink blots at the shrink.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm

lukpac wrote:If it's a burger, maybe it's so big it's covering his (her?) face. Maybe the lines by his fingers are supposed to be showing him pressing into the bun (that and the thing below being buns). And maybe the little triangle thing in the middle is a slice of cheese.

Precisely.

Ryan

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:56 am

Bennett Cerf wrote:When's he going to cite Google.com as his source?