Mallard Fillmore

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:54 pm

lukpac wrote:I'd like to know why his head changes from black to white.

That's just the sort of question I'd expect from a race-baiting liberal.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Mallard freakin' Fillmore: it's like the 80s never died. The Washington Post used to print that piece of substitute toilet paper in the funnies/OpEd section adjacent to Doonesbury. I guess they must still run it.

On my funny scale, I'd rank Mallard Fillmore right in between Prince Valiant and Mary Worth.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:14 pm

Rob P wrote:On my funny scale, I'd rank Mallard Fillmore right in between Prince Valiant and Mary Worth.

I've never read either aside from quick glances, but at least Mary Worth provides fodder for the Simpsons.

"I can give you this telephone. It is shaped like Mary Worth."

"Er, excuse me. No banging your head on the display case please, it contains a very rare Mary Worth in which she has advised a friend to commit suicide. Thank you."
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:25 pm

Mary Worth gets the higher vote, only because it's so well parodied on the Simpsons. Also, I can't neglect to mention one of Homer's favorites: Rex Morgan M.D., "The prescription for the daily blues".

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:51 pm

Rex Morgan kicks ass. He wants single-payer health insurance. And his wife's a MILF.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:20 pm

Bruce Tinsley is employing the same technique as many Christian rock artists... pander to a fixed base audience that is so desirous of hearing their message affirmed that they will support you even if you lack talent. By advocating for the "disenfranchised" far right, he's found a gimmick that gets him papers without having to worry about traditional comic strip concerns like being funny or being able to draw.

Those strips where he's promoting the conservative senator are downright bizarre. No jokes, no satire, just unabashed boosterism. Imagine the outcry if there was ever a comic strip that was nothing more than a free commercial for a Democrat, or that advocated a Democratic agenda. I guess the closest Doonesbury ever came was the John Anderson strips in 1980, but at least those were funny, too.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:32 pm

czeskleba wrote:Those strips where he's promoting the conservative senator are downright bizarre. No jokes, no satire, just unabashed boosterism.

But...the MSM! Ha ha ha!
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:18 am

czeskleba wrote:Those strips where he's promoting the conservative senator are downright bizarre. No jokes, no satire, just unabashed boosterism.

And after two days,Tinsley has given little hint of what he actually likes about Coburn. He sees fit to mention in both strips that Coburn "cheeses off" his Senate colleagues, but otherwise he's defined Coburn with only the vaguest platitudes ("a great guy," "a maverick conservative," "taxpayers are more important than politics").

Will he offer even a hint of substantive praise in the next strip? Or is the "cheesing off" all it takes to make Tinsley swoon?

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:30 am

Maybe Tinsley likes fake boobs:

"And I thought I would just share with you what science says today about silicone breast implants. If you have them, you're healthier than if you don't. That is what the ultimate science shows. . . . In fact, there's no science that shows that silicone breast implants are detrimental and, in fact, they make you healthier."
-Senator Tom Coburn
from http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... 5Feb6.html

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:19 am

Czeskleba called it. "Mallard Fillmore" exists because of the perceived ideology behind it, not because it's any good. Because it isn't. Its apparent popularity is further proof that wingnuts wouldn't know funny if they tripped over it.
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:27 am

Oh, the poor WASPs!

http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/co ... /about.htm

Mallard Fillmore first hatched from the pen of Bruce Tinsley at The Daily Progress in Charlottesville, Va. Today, the celebrated comic strip about Tinsley's conservative reporter-duck fills the bill in nearly 400 newspapers nationwide.

Distributed by King Features Syndicate since 1994, readers of newspapers across the country enjoy the duck's right-wing viewpoint.

Tinsley created Mallard for what he saw as the conservative underdog. The strip is for "the average person out there: the forgotten American taxpayer who's sick of the liberal media and cultural establishments that act like he or she doesn't exist," he says.

"Mallard" almost did not see the light of day. When asked to come up with a mascot for The Daily Progress entertainment section, artist Tinsley showed editors three ideas: a blue hippopotamus; a big nose in tuxedo and cane; and a duck.

Tinsley says the hippo went unused for fear of offending overweight people, and the nose was axed because it would "offend people of Jewish and Mediterranean descent, not to mention Arabs and anyone else with a big nose." Tinsley says he thought his editors were kidding, but they were not.

Once Mallard Fillmore was off and running, his editors requested Tinsley tone down its conservative bias. When he refused, he was fired.

The strip caught the attention of The Washington Times, which used Tinsley's wise-quacking journalist in the commentary section before moving the strip to the comics pages. The rest, as they say, is history.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:28 am

Ha ha! Stop me now! My co-workers are wondering why I'm laughing so hard!

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:01 am

Hilarious?

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:39 am

HOLY SHIT! Elephants... and donkeys... cuddling PIGS?!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That's fucking brilliant! Give this Tinsley guy a Pulitzer, already.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:44 am

So how much is Coburn paying for these ads?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney