Mallard Fillmore

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:40 pm

Bennett Cerf wrote:Fat and stoned?

Don't forget the multiple divorces and draft dodging. Yep, he's a real family-values kinda guy.

He won't even breed! Doesn't he know that not having white children will make it easier for the brown people to take over? WHAT'S WRONG WITH HIM?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 pm

That's quite a forehead.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:57 am

How long until Tinsley jumps on this? He's never met a factually-hazy UN-bashing story he doesn't like.

(Tinfoil hat tip to Tom Tomorrow.)

Gun owners accuse UN of July 4 conspiracy

By Irwin Arieff Wed Jun 21, 5:35 PM ET

UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Americans mistakenly worried the
United Nations is plotting to take away their guns on July 4 -- U.S. Independence Day -- are flooding the world body with angry letters and postcards, the chairman of a U.N. conference on the illegal small arms trade said on Wednesday.

"I myself have received over 100,000 letters from the U.S. public, criticizing me personally, saying, 'You are having this conference on the 4th of July, you are not going to get our guns on that day,"' said Prasad Kariyawasam, Sri Lanka's U.N. ambassador.

"That is a total misconception as far as we are concerned," Kariyawasam told reporters ahead of the two-week meeting opening on Monday.

For one, July 4 is a holiday at U.N. headquarters and the world body's staff will be watching a fireworks display from the U.N. lawn rather than attending any meetings, he said.

For another, the U.N. conference will look only at illegal arms and "does not in any way address legal possession," a matter left to national governments to regulate rather than the United Nations, he added.

The campaign is largely the work of the U.S. National Rifle Association, whose executive vice president, Wayne LaPierre, warns on an NRA Web site (http://www.stopungunban.org/) of a July 4 plot "to finalize a U.N. treaty that would strip all citizens of all nations of their right to self-protection."

Kariyawasam said, "The U.N. conference will not negotiate any treaty to prohibit citizens of any country from possessing firearms or to interfere with the legal trade in small arms and light weapons."

U.N. CONSPIRACY -- OR STRONGER CONTROLS?

LaPierre, who also uses the site to pitch his new book, "The Global War on Your Guns," asks NRA members to send letters to Kariyawasam and U.N. Secretary-General
Kofi Annan warning that "the American people will never let you take away the rights that our 4th of July holiday represents."

The group also asks members to write to John Bolton, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, urging him to "ensure the defeat of this treaty." Bolton's office confirmed he had received tens of thousands of cards from concerned Americans.

"We understand their concerns and will work during the conference to communicate their concerns," Bolton spokesman Richard Grenell said.

At the same time, 1 million people around the world -- symbolizing the number of people killed by guns since the last U.N. small arms conference in 2001 -- have signed a petition backing stronger controls on arms deals in a campaign organized by Oxfam International, Amnesty International and the International Action Network on Small Arms.

The June 26-July 7 U.N. conference was called to review a 2001 U.N. action plan aimed at stemming the illegal global trade in small arms, which, as defined by the United Nations, range from pistols and grenades to mortars and shoulder-fired anti-aircraft and anti-tank missiles.

The action program set out broad guidelines for national and global measures to track arms sales, promote better management of government arms stockpiles and encourage the destruction of illicit arms.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:57 pm

I couldn't find the story on the Media Research Center website, but this is apparently the source of Tinsley's outrage:

Pelley's most recent report, like his first, did not pause to acknowledge global warming skeptics, instead treating the existence of global warming as an established fact. I again asked him why. "If I do an interview with Elie Wiesel," he asks, "am I required as a journalist to find a Holocaust denier?" He says his team tried hard to find a respected scientist who contradicted the prevailing opinion in the scientific community, but there was no one out there who fit that description. "This isn't about politics or pseudo-science or conspiracy theory blogs," he says. "This is about sound science."

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:37 pm

Unfortunately for Tinsley, Pelley is right. Unless you go with someone (usually a geologist) on the payroll of some company with a vested interest in pollution regulation, a true scientist who will go against the grain on global warming is very difficult to find.

An even bigger challenge is finding a peer-reviewed paper that contradicts the "prevailing opinion."

But for Tinsley, peddling junk science is preferable to letting conservative talking points go unspoken.

The Holocaust analogy is spot-on IMO. Those who deny global warming are generally driven by either dogma or self-interest, not an objective analysis of the facts. (Objective, apparently, is a word Tinsley doesn't quite understand.)

Ryan

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:48 pm

Spot the liar:

the quoted guy wrote

"Pelley's most recent report, like his first, did not pause to acknowledge global warming skeptics, instead treating the existence of global warming as an established fact."

Tinsley wrote

"People skeptical of 'man-made' global warming.."
Last edited by krabapple on Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:53 pm

And bravo to Pelley for this (from the same site)

"But doesn't the fact that there are a lot of Americans who are skeptical of global warming – not well respected scientists, perhaps, but ordinary people watching the segment – warrant at least some recognition of the other side? "There becomes a point in journalism where striving for balance becomes irresponsible," says Pelley."
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:48 am

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:50 pm

I'm sure if the little guy keeps trying to use metaphors correctly, eventually he'll figure it out.

Or not.

Ryan

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:45 am

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:37 am

Oh, shit, that one's too easy.

Ryan

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:06 am

I wonder if there'll be any resemblance to actual e-mails, or if he'll just be making shit up again.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:29 am

I'm bowled over that the above "counts" as a comic strip submission. "Hey, kids! Nothing in this space today, but LOOK OUT FOR NEXT WEEK!"
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:56 am

That strip has more filler than a bad Stones album.

Ryan

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:02 pm

Rspaight wrote:That strip has more filler than a bad Stones album.

Ryan

Tinsley's entire oeuvre is the equivalent of Dirty Work.