Good old Pat Robertson back in the news

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Beatlesfan03

Good old Pat Robertson back in the news

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:49 pm

I'm sure he was just misunderstood. :roll:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20051110/ts_ ... bertson_dc

Televangelist Robertson warns town of God's wrath

By Alan Elsner Thu Nov 10, 5:09 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Conservative Christian televangelist Pat Robertson told citizens of a Pennsylvania town that they had rejected God by voting their school board out of office for supporting "intelligent design" and warned them on Thursday not to be surprised if disaster struck.
ADVERTISEMENT

Robertson, a former Republican presidential candidate and founder of the influential conservative Christian Broadcasting Network and Christian Coalition, has a long record of similar apocalyptic warnings and provocative statements.

Last summer, he hit the headlines by calling for the assassination of leftist Venezuelan Present Hugo Chavez, one of
President George W. Bush's most vocal international critics.

"I'd like to say to the good citizens of Dover: if there is a disaster in your area, don't turn to God, you just rejected Him from your city," Robertson said on his daily television show broadcast from Virginia, "The 700 Club."

"And don't wonder why He hasn't helped you when problems begin, if they begin. I'm not saying they will, but if they do, just remember, you just voted God out of your city. And if that's the case, don't ask for His help because he might not be there," he said.

The 700 Club claims a daily audience of around one million. It is also broadcast around the world translated into more than 70 languages.

In voting on Tuesday, all eight Dover, Pennsylvania, school board members up for re-election lost their seats after trying to introduce "intelligent design" to high school science students as an alternative to the theory of evolution.

Adherents of intelligent design argue that certain forms in nature are too complex to have evolved through natural selection and must have been created by a "designer." Opponents say it is the latest attempt by conservatives to introduce religion into the school science curriculum.

The Dover case sparked a trial in federal court that gained nationwide attention after the school board was sued by parents backed by the
American Civil Liberties Union. The board ordered schools to read students a short statement in biology classes informing them that the theory of evolution is not established fact and that gaps exist in it.

The statement mentioned intelligent design as an alternate theory and recommended students read a book that explained the theory further. A decision in the case is expected before the end of the year.

In 1998, Robertson warned the city of Orlando, Florida that it risked hurricanes, earthquakes and terrorist bombs after it allowed homosexual organizations to put up rainbow flags in support of sexual diversity.

[/b]
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am

Yup, he's definitely one of the more radical clerics of the American Taliban.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:43 pm

I wonder if there isn't some dementia seeping in. It used to be that Pat said something ridiculous about once a year. Lately it's been almost monthly. The latest: it turns out Ariel Sharon's stroke was really just a good old-fashioned Heavenly Beatdown by the Lord:
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/05/robert ... index.html

MK

Postby MK » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:44 am

It takes a really wretched man to believe in a God that spiteful.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:43 am

And the Gnostics do it better, anyway.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:25 pm

Xenu wrote:And the Gnostics do it better, anyway.

it = believe in a spiteful God?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

damianm

Re: Good old Pat Robertson back in the news

Postby damianm » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:58 pm

Beatlesfan03 wrote:The 700 Club claims a daily audience of around one million. It is also broadcast around the world translated into more than 70 languages.

'The 700 Club'? Hadn't they gone down in some hookers-and-coke scandal some 15 years back? 'Cause I'm pretty certain that's the last time/thing I heard about them down here.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

And just to reinforce to notion of an "informed" electorate, let us not forget that Pat won the Washington state, Republican presidential primary in 1988...and actually beat Bush Sr. in a few states as well if I remember correctly. (Iowa comes to mind).

Gives man a sense of "comfort" toward his voting peers...no?

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:53 pm

damianm wrote:'The 700 Club'? Hadn't they gone down in some hookers-and-coke scandal some 15 years back? 'Cause I'm pretty certain that's the last time/thing I heard about them down here.

I'm pretty sure it's still around. Whether or not it's under the same name that I don't know. Since I had to grow up and start working days, I can't peruse the early morning telly anymore. But when I did have the priviledge of being home, I'm fairly certain his smug mug is still out there for the world.
Craig

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:54 pm

Duh, maybe a google search before I post next time.

It's heeeere....

http://www.cbn.com/700club/ :roll:
Craig

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:02 pm

damianm wrote:'The 700 Club'? Hadn't they gone down in some hookers-and-coke scandal some 15 years back?

You're thinking of the PTL Club. Why two separate religious organizations would categorize themselves as "clubs" I don't know. Doesn't really seem the right word.

MK

Postby MK » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:06 am

I never knew why it was called the 700 Club until now. (Once again, wikipedia has shown the way.):

In 1961, Robertson bought the license for WTOV, channel 27 in Portsmouth, Virginia. It had gone off the air five years earlier due to poor viewership. The station returned in October as WYAH, broadcasting twelve hours of self-proclaimed Christian programming to the Hampton Roads market each day. In 1962, the station suffered financially and almost closed. To keep the station on the air, WYAH decided to produce a special telethon edition of the show. For the telethon, Robertson set a goal of 700 members each contributing $10 a month, which was enough to support the station. Robertson referred to these members as the '700 Club' and the name stuck.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto