Edith Jones the next Supreme Court justice (my guess)

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
MK

Edith Jones the next Supreme Court justice (my guess)

Postby MK » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:18 pm

Looking through the unofficial 'short list' of potential Bush nominees distributed throughout the media, it seems too obvious in a pedestrian sort of way: replace a Caucasian, female justice with the ONE Caucasian, female justice on that 'short list.'

But, I think Jones is probably a front-runner. Why? Well, she came close TWICE under the previous Bush; instead of leaving just one woman on the Supreme Court, it would gain some support by maintaining two; the other woman on the 'short list,' Brown, has been through a lot of controversy so someone comparatively low-key may seem safer a bet; Jones is a staunch conservative who's staunchly pro-life when it comes to abortion (much moreso than O'Connor) and has spoke out about this; she has strongly backed most if not all death penalty cases that have come before her; and she bisn't that old. Reagan actually appointed her when she was 36, pretty young for a judge, so she's had more experience than most her age. The other nice thing about a younger justice: potentially more years on the bench. I'm not sure if she's the youngest on the short list, though.

Besides, Rehnquist is probably going to step down. If not this year, then sometime in the next three years. Seriously, how long can the guy last? So Bush probably has that 'second shot' coming up which may take the edge/pressure of this round (which may be considered a nice bonus since speculation of O'Connor's retirement seemed to fade in light of Rehnquist's situation).

I dunno, it just seems to make sense to me. I'm not sure how bitter the confirmation battle will be, but I don't see enough juice in any potential opposition to knock her out.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto