MoveOn.org TV Ad Urges Bush to Pull Troops From Iraq

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

MoveOn.org TV Ad Urges Bush to Pull Troops From Iraq

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 pm

[url=http://www.cnsnews.com//ViewPolitics.asp?Page=\Politics\archive\200506\POL20050628d.html]MoveOn.org TV Ad Urges Bush to Pull Troops From Iraq[/url]
By Monisha Bansal
CNSNews.com Correspondent
June 28, 2005

(CNSNews.com) - The liberal political action committee MoveOn.org will debut a television ad Tuesday night calling for President Bush to bring troops home from Iraq, timing their broadcast with the president's nationally televised speech updating Americans on the war.

"The U.S. occupation is fueling an ever-stronger insurgency. We need a real plan with a real timetable for exit so there's real accountability for our leaders," said Eli Pariser, the executive director of the MoveOn PAC. The group was one of the most aggressive 527 organizations during the last presidential campaign and is among the most critical of Bush administration policies.

MoveOn.org is joining with Tom Andrews, a former Democratic congressman from Maine and the current national director of Win Without War, as well as Ray McGovern, a former CIA analyst, in launching what it calls its biggest ad campaign on Iraq since the war started.

The $500,000 ad buy involves television spots in select congressional districts across the country and a full page ad in the New York Times. MoveOn.org hopes to tap into what it claims is growing public opposition to the war in Iraq. The latest CNN/Gallup/USA Today poll, released Tuesday, showed that 53 percent of Americans think the U.S. made a mistake in invading Iraq.

"Let's face it, with the steady decline of support at home and the steady escalation of the insurgency in Iraq, the president's disastrous Iraq policy is in its last throes," said Andrews.

The TV ad centers on comments made by Sen. Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), who is one of the Republicans in Congress who has criticized the administration's handling of the war and the detention of prisoners at the Guantanamo Bay prison in Cuba. In the ad, Hagel is quoted as saying, "The White House is completely disconnected from reality ... it's like they're just making it up as they go along."

But Hagel is angry about the use of his comments in the MoveOn.org ad. "This ad is dishonest. I have never supported immediate removal of American troops from Iraq. I have said that to withdraw from Iraq now would have catastrophic consequences that would ripple across a generation of Americans, Iraqis, and the entire Middle East," Hagel stated Tuesday.

"I have differences with the administration over the execution of our war policy. As a United States senator, I have a responsibility to ask tough questions, put forth alternatives and suggestions and do all I can to ensure that our policy is worthy of the sacrifices being made by our service men and women," Hagel added.

Even before the MoveOn.org ad was scheduled to air, the Republican National Committee (RNC) fired back. Danny Diaz, spokesman for the RNC, told Cybercast News Service that the liberal group's ad was "fundamentally flawed," and reflected the defeatist stance of the Democratic Party.

"MoveOn's message of moderation and restraint is not only out of touch with the majority of Americans, but with many Democrats outside of Washington, who are dismayed that their party's agenda is controlled by the liberal elites like George Soros and Michael Moore," said Tracey Schmitt, the RNC's press secretary.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: MoveOn.org TV Ad Urges Bush to Pull Troops From Iraq

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:06 am

Matt wrote:"MoveOn's message of moderation and restraint is not only out of touch with the majority of Americans, but with many Democrats outside of Washington, who are dismayed that their party's agenda is controlled by the liberal elites like George Soros and Michael Moore," said Tracey Schmitt, the RNC's press secretary.

Because, of course, the RNC kicked out all of its conservative elites years ago.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Stretcher Case

Postby Stretcher Case » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:01 am

Matt wrote:"MoveOn's message of moderation and restraint is not only out of touch with the majority of Americans, but with many Democrats outside of Washington, who are dismayed that their party's agenda is controlled by the liberal elites like George Soros and Michael Moore," said Tracey Schmitt, the RNC's press secretary.

What is this, a parody?? As if George Soros and Michael Moore can make up for the untold lies this administration has told?

Hagel has been critical, McCain has been critical, Walter Jones, Republican congressman from North Carolina wants a timetable. Drip drip drip, even Republicans are deserting the party over the war:

http://tinyurl.com/9s4nk

How out of step is Moveon.org with reality based Republicans??

Also, if you look at the polling, Moveon is very MUCH in step with the silent majority of Americans.

Any response Matt, or are you just here for your usual copy and paste drive by?
ALHAJI ADAMU IDRIS IS NOT HAPPY THAT YOU DEMANDED HIS PASSPORT.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:08 am

What is this, a parody??

I don't know if it's parody or not, but almost everything CNSNews posts is laughable.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:49 am

CNS news -- interesting headline. From it you'd think MoveOn was calling for troops to be pulled out RIGHT NOW...when in fact they're calling for a timetable, as are soem Republicans. And of course there are conservatives of the Buchanan stripe, who say we never should have been in there in the first place. Hmm, CNS runs Bozell's and Malkin's column too.

Verdict: Suck my dick, CNS. (You can watch, Matt.)

And speaking of timetables: apparently Bush used to be a fan of them too:

http://thinkprogress.org/2005/06/28/in- ... timetable/

In 1999, Bush Demanded A Timetable

In 1999, George W. Bush criticized President Clinton for not setting a timetable for exiting Kosovo, and yet he refuses to apply the same standard to his war.

George W. Bush, 4/9/99:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”

And on the specific need for a timetable, here’s what Bush said then and what he says now:

George W. Bush, 6/5/99

“I think it’s also important for the president to lay out a timetable as to how long they will be involved and when they will be withdrawn.”

[ed. note: article originally ran in the Seattle Post-Intelligencer on 6/5/99]

VERSUS

George W. Bush, 6/24/05:

“It doesn’t make any sense to have a timetable. You know, if you give a timetable, you’re — you’re conceding too much to the enemy.”

MY view is that a strict timetable is not a good idea...but a list of reasonable GOALS or BENCHMARKS that should be achieved before we pull out, is. Bush hasn't even given us *that*. Like, X number of trained Iraquis wwith X percent coverage of the country. X number of power plants operational. Etc.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:22 pm

Stretcher Case wrote:What is this, a parody??

I don't think so. I thought the article was relevant, and Hagel should have an opportunity to respond.

Stretcher Case wrote:Hagel has been critical, McCain has been critical, Walter Jones, Republican congressman from North Carolina wants a timetable. Drip drip drip, even Republicans are deserting the party over the war:

http://tinyurl.com/9s4nk

No arguments.

Stretcher Case wrote:How out of step is Moveon.org with reality based Republicans??

As far as Iraq (in retrospect), maybe not much now, but ultimately I suppose it depends on who you poll. In general, I don't think political hate groups are are good thing.
-Matt

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:28 pm

krabapple wrote:Verdict: Suck my dick, CNS. (You can watch, Matt.)

I don't think so.

krabapple wrote:MY view is that a strict timetable is not a good idea...but a list of reasonable GOALS or BENCHMARKS that should be achieved before we pull out, is. Bush hasn't even given us *that*. Like, X number of trained Iraquis wwith X percent coverage of the country. X number of power plants operational. Etc.

Very reasonable.
-Matt

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:54 pm

Matt wrote:In general, I don't think political hate groups are are good thing.

I'm glad you dislike the RNC as much as the rest of us.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Matt

Postby Matt » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:51 pm

lukpac wrote:I'm glad you dislike the RNC as much as the rest of us.

Honestly Luke, I never considered the RNC, or for that matter the DNC, to be hate groups.
-Matt

chrischross

Postby chrischross » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:31 pm

Matt wrote:As far as Iraq (in retrospect), maybe not much now, but ultimately I suppose it depends on who you poll. In general, I don't think political hate groups are are good thing.

Have you actually met a Moveon member?? They're actually pretty well meaning if a bit strident. Oh but stridency is only OK when it's Swift Boat Veterans for Smears et al, isn't it?

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid, you probably have Moveon.org members as neighbors. At the end of the day, it's just a big email list that conducts a few bake sales.

I just love it when conservatives act the victim of powerless "political hate groups" while the likes Tom DeLay and Duke Cunningham run off with the spoils. Yes, demonize the powerless, it's what Rove is the master at.